Editing photos after imported in iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
How do I use photoshop to edit the photos I've imported into iPhoto?

So I've decided to use mac as it's meant to be used,
so instead of putting the photos into the "picture" folder, I drag the photos from usb straight into iPhoto

I did some research and found out that the photos are in the "Master" folder but the photos I've deleted
but I've also heard that editing the contents in "master" folder can screw up iPhoto

I've considered exporting by emailing imported photo from iphoto and importing it back to iphoto after, but that seem like the wrong way of using mac.

is there a better way?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In iPhoto Preferences, you can chose which application to use for editing. Double clicking on a picture in your Library will then open that picture in the applcation of your choice.

OP
Milca604
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
thank you so much
you completely answered my question

Reaction score
I have to thank you too! i've been using a Mac for a year and a half now and I didn't know that! I set it to open in Preview (just to try it), but I am planning on buying Pixelmator very soon.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This probably goes without saying, but remember to save your edit in Adobe or the changes will be lost when you return to iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
...So I've decided to use mac as it's meant to be used...

What made you change to iPhoto? You know there's no harm in keeping your image files in the Pictures folder or any other folder. If you're not using any of the iPhoto features, there's really no point in bothering with it at all. That is of course, dependent on your reason(s) for using iPhoto now. ;D

OP
Milca604
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
What made you change to iPhoto? You know there's no harm in keeping your image files in the Pictures folder or any other folder. If you're not using any of the iPhoto features, there's really no point in bothering with it at all. That is of course, dependent on your reason(s) for using iPhoto now. ;D

Actually....
I thought iPhoto is the photo viewing software for mac
like ACDsee on window
I couldn't figure out how to use the 3 finger swipe (or arrow key) to view next/previous pictures in folders
and i thought iPhoto was meant for that

is there a better way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't know about "better", but if you are in Finder and highlight a photo and press Space Bar, you can bring that photo up in a larger viewer "window". You then can drag the bottom right corner to make it as large as you want and either arrow up/down or left/right to switch to next or previous photo. There's also a Full Screen button (looks like two opposing arrows) but you can not move to the next or previous photo when in Full Screen. That's why I suggest dragging the window to fill your screen if you want it really large.

Whatever works best for you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.