Put iPhone 4 replacement camera in iPad 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Does anyone think it would be possible to buy a replacement iPhone 4 camera into the new iPad 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Why do people wanna take great pictures with a tablet soo bad? I just dont understand.. I wonder if they put better cameras in MBP's if people would hold up there macbook up to take shots??? Maybe I just dont get it.. I am not trying to offend anyone

anyways why not just take pics with your iphone 4 instead? it is smaller and more camera size...do you really wanna hold up a 11" device to take pic's? Also if you wanted to do it you would have to take it all apart... check out here where Razormac posted this link but I dont know if the pin connecters would fit...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I didn't know I owed an explanation :p but I love modifying hardware but I've only stuck to xboxes so I was considering trying this out on my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to say no since it's not made for the iPad 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I think you probably could... But looking at the tear down procedure it seems like their would be a possibility of breaking the screen. So I am not sure if it's a risk worth taking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
I would highly advise you NOT to do this....the iPad 2 is not intended to be taken apart by average people (meaning only Apple is intended to using their tools). Furthermore, I get the thrill factor behind modifying certain hardware but DO NOT let that thrill go too far. The iPhone 4's camera will not fit in the iPad 2 due to space issues. Plus, you'd need to modify iPad's camera software to even take advantage of the iPhone 4 camera. To sum this all up: Don't bother doing this, it's not the worth the time or risk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I would highly advise you NOT to do this....the iPad 2 is not intended to be taken apart by average people (meaning only Apple is intended to using their tools). Furthermore, I get the thrill factor behind modifying certain hardware but DO NOT let that thrill go too far. The iPhone 4's camera will not fit in the iPad 2 due to space issues. Plus, you'd need to modify iPad's camera software to even take advantage of the iPhone 4 camera. To sum this all up: Don't bother doing this, it's not the worth the time or risk.

Geez, what a buzzkill you are, eh? Im guesssing you don't get invited to a lot of parties. :p
I have to ask though... on one hand you make comments such as "I wouldn't take the thrill that far" , and "only Apple has the necessary tools to take it apart" etc.. which tells us that in all actuality, you have no real idea as to whether or not it will work.

Point is, you shouldn't make qualifying statements as such, if you're not informed enough to do so. This also means providing proof to back up your claims since guessing isn't good enough.

I simply would advise not taking it apart unless you have the proper documentation and tools, and unless you're ready to run the possible risk of breaking something. But you're a big boy, and im sure you know this already. Plus hey... safe= zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Doug

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah lol I'm actually waiting on a reply from ifixit right now before I go any further. I don't see why the camera wouldn't work considering ios 4.3 is ios 4.3 no matter which device it's on :p

If we can jailbreak these devices, I'm sure we can swap a camera out!

BTW, appreciate about the only positive reply Doug lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Be sure to post pictures.

Hope it goes well for you . . . not something I would attempt, but if you make it work you will definitely have bragging rights for a while on iPad modifications. :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think you probably could... But looking at the tear down procedure it seems like their would be a possibility of breaking the screen. So I am not sure if it's a risk worth taking.

I swear I came across an article that said dismantling an iPad 2 that is great risk of breaking the screen. But I'm not finding it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I swear I came across an article that said dismantling an iPad 2 that is great risk of breaking the screen. But I'm not finding it now.

iFixit also said it here in step 5

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They also said on step 5:

We'll be investigating the best way to get inside over the next few weeks.

So in the meantime as I wait for my reply, I will wait to see if they find any easier way to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Wow! That is a pretty cool idea! I mean it looks like a lot of work but if someone has the expertise to make this happen I would be curious to know what the OS would do with the input from the iPhone 4 camera. Keep us posted if you do this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Go for it Pope ole mate. I for one look forward to seeing the outcome if there is one at all . . . Subscribed to this thread as now you have mentioned it you have to do it ;P lol

I like these things and you can watch people think outside the box, like the thread (which i cant find) where a member made a Cinema Display from other monitors. The photos made it so much better.

Will look again when i get home from work Pope as im sure you would appreciate the ingenuity of the Member :)
If Nick reads this im sure he posted in that thread as well ?? Hint hint lol

Good on ya

Cheers

GNR

Reaction score
//Why do people wanna take great pictures with a tablet soo bad? //

My thoughts exactly until I tried it in apple story

Having a big view finder was neat and was a hassleblad'ish experience.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well give me time to get some information back from iFixit. I've looked up high-res images of the camera for the iPhone 4 and the camera for the iPad 2 and the only small problem I'm seeing (without having to open my iPad 2 or buy an iPhone 4 replacement camera) is that the ribbon connectors are on opposite sides. I will show you:

iPad 2 rear camera:

ipad2camera.jpg

iPhone 4 rear camera:

screenshot20110314at156.png

Once I get more information from iFixit I will let you know!

Reaction score
I'd be careful...

If you take a look at the two cameras (in post #16) there are significant differences between the number of pins in each connector. I'd say trying to adapt the camera from the iPhone 4 to the iPad 2 would not be an easy task, you would have to match up the pin-outs of the camera modules. It is also unlikely the iPad has a compatible interface chip on the main board that will match up to the horizontal and vertical grid that the new camera would provide even if the connectors were the same size.

Even if you can get a better camera into the iPad you still would be limited in capabilities. No flash and optical zoom on a $500 iDevice kinda makes a $99 12Mega pixel cameras look a little more appealing. Using the Camera Connection kit you can plug a usb cable or SD card into the 30 pin port and it works great. Using the iPad screen and the faster processors the images scale and rotate with very little delay.

Reaction score
Re: opening up the ipad2!

Hi all,

New to the forum! Just wanted to pass on my experience with Opening up the ipad2. The day came when my ipad2 met the pavement and the glass shattered. So I decided to tackle the problem myself. I ordered a new digitizer screen, all the tools and studied videos on you tube for a while. iPad 1 is definitely easier to take apart than 2G iPad. The 2 has plenty of 3m super sticky strips to hold the screen while the 1 has proprietary screws. So there is definitely an over 50/50 probability of cracking your screen while doing the theoretical replacement of the ipad2 camera. There is also a chance to damage the antenna for wifi reception and several other sensitive elements. It's a bit like diffusing a bomb . ... Lol

After i replaced the screen and put the ipad back together again, the home button was not properly functioning.To cut a long story short it took me over
six hours to complete the operation and have everything working normally. The
Process of simply prying the screen apart from the super glued strips was a nightmare.

I am an avid photographer and would love a high quality camera in my iPad, however, just the thought of opening up the unit again is enough to send me running in the opposite direction. Well, thats's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi all,

New to the forum! Just wanted to pass on my experience with Opening up the ipad2. The day came when my ipad2 met the pavement and the glass shattered. So I decided to tackle the problem myself. I ordered a new digitizer screen, all the tools and studied videos on you tube for a while. iPad 1 is definitely easier to take apart than 2G iPad. The 2 has plenty of 3m super sticky strips to hold the screen while the 1 has proprietary screws. So there is definitely an over 50/50 probability of cracking your screen while doing the theoretical replacement of the ipad2 camera. There is also a chance to damage the antenna for wifi reception and several other sensitive elements. It's a bit like diffusing a bomb . ... Lol

After i replaced the screen and put the ipad back together again, the home button was not properly functioning.To cut a long story short it took me over
six hours to complete the operation and have everything working normally. The
Process of simply prying the screen apart from the super glued strips was a nightmare.

I am an avid photographer and would love a high quality camera in my iPad, however, just the thought of opening up the unit again is enough to send me running in the opposite direction. Well, thats's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Thanks for sharing that, and welcome to the Forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.