update gone wrong? missing my dock/applications folder + finder crashes

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a late 08 aluminum macbook and I recently took it to the genius bar because it wasn't loading past the grey apple screen.

The guy reinstalled mac os x and it worked just fine, however I was missing applications like iPhoto and GarageBand so I downloaded them using the cd that came with my computer.

I did an update and after restarting, my dock is gone and I can't open the applications folder and finder doesn't respond at all. I get the spinning wheel of death.

I did command+s while restarting and used the fsck -fy command but it said it couldn't repair my harddrive after 3 attempts. What's going on?

thanks
x

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it back to the Apple store and have them look at it again. It appears that you have a bad hard drive. It seems reinstalling OS X was only a band aid and not the cure.

OP
N
Reaction score
Strange, they were able to fix it without wiping out my harddrive and ran a test on it. It's supposed to be working fine :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's apparently an intermittent problem. Did you get AppleCare? (It would still be good til late '11.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.