App Store purchase won't d/l

Reaction score
Hi, all! Probably a common question, but here goes:

Using new Mac Mini, 10.6.7 + latest updates. I go into the App Store and attempt to purchase an app (Aperture). I log in correctly, the click the Buy button (second dialog). Third dialog opens asking me to verify login. Enter uid & pwd again, then--- nothing. No download, no CC charge, nothing in purchases. Tried five times over two days, nothing.

Suggestions? I can buy all kinds of stuff from iTunes on either PC, iPad, or iPhone without issue; try to buy my first app from the App Store on the Mini and nothing. Halp!! :)

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is not working right. Once a profile is created for the App store or iTunes and your credit card info is stored, you shouldn't have to login each time or verify the purchase again. All I do is click on the App store icon in my Dock and it comes up greeting me by name. When I purchase an App, it doesn't ask me for anything and starts the download immediately. (It automatically charges my credit card and sends me a receipt by email.)

Go back to the iTunes store and make sure all your info including credit card is correct. Then try again.

Edit: I just noticed you stated that you're using 10.6.7... if that is really what you have (it's in beta) then that's why the App store is not working right. The latest released version of Snow Leopard is 10.6.6.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Huh. Well, OK I just bought this Mini 2nd hand, and I guess the seller put the "beta" on it to help me out. ;-) Guess that brings up a whole new question for another forum (getting back to 10.6.6).

Thanks for the suggestion!
Steve

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Uninstall beta (10.6.7)??

Hi, all! Just bought a Mac Mini second hand, and it appears that the seller was being helpful and installed the beta (10.6.7) on it. Hopefully a basic question: how can I uninstall the beta and get back to 10.6.6 (making leap of faith that it wasn't a clean install of the beta)?

Thanks!
Steve

ps: on a side note, is there a vendor that I can purchase & download 10.6 from so I can get started on a reinstall quickly (if that is what I'll need to do)? The Apple Store doesn't have it available for d/l. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a Snow Leopard retail install DVD? Because that's what you're going to need in order to wipe the drive, install SL and update it to 10.6.6.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merged both topics into one since they're related.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
chscag, thanks for replying!

Nope, I don't have the DVD, but that's easy to fix. Since it doesn't appear to be a d/l in any stores I check, I'll just run down to BestBuy and pick one up!

Thanks again!
Steve

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
chscag, follow-up on the thread.

So I went out and bought SL, installed it. It installed 10.6.3. Ran the updates, and the version is now 10.6.7.

You sure 10.6.7 is beta? I find it odd that updates would install a beta version...

Tried buying Aperture again, same problem as above.

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Positive. 10.6.7 is still in beta. It was seeded to developers on Mar 8th for testing and has not been officially released. Are you sure you erased the drive first before installing SL 10.6.3? It sounds like you may have done an upgrade or an archive install with the SL DVD rather than a full install.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
chscag, that's entirely possible. This is my first Mac in like 10 years, so I'm a noob. :) I'll see if I can figure out how to erase the disk from the installer.

Thanks for replying!

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Well, just erased the entire drive from the Install DVD Utilities (Erase, NOT Erase Free Space), reinstalled completely (10.6.4), and ran the update. Made sure the only version selected was 10.6.6, rebooted, and it says 10.6.7.

Something isn't right here. Still can't purchase Aperture from App Store. Guess I'll try one more time. Maybe I'll try posting on the Apple forums... tried earlier but I wouldn't let me create a new thread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It now sounds like the machine has gotten a bit of "brain damage" and doesn't know where it's at. Let's try a PRAM - NVRAM reset to see if that can set things straight. You might have to erase and reinstall once more after that.

Worse comes to worse, wait another 2 weeks or so. The new version should be released soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The appstore went south on me yesterday when I tried to get the new xcode. It locked up for quite some time and storeagent caused a kernel panic. I rebooted (no choice) and every time I tried to go to updates or purchases the appstore would lock up on me and I'd have to force quit. (Didn't want another kernel panic)

I tried my updates of 2 programs and download of xcode today and everything seems OK now. I was able to download and install the updates. Xcode is huge so it is still downloading.

TL ; DR - something may have been wrong with the Appstore yesterday seems to be working today.

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Resolved!! (sort of)

Many thanks to everyone that replied! At this point all looks OK, and I'm not going to tempt fate with updates without doing the same due diligence that I'm used to doing on Windows boxes...

My last wipe and reinstall didn't solve any problems, so I did the NVRAM reset procedure and started all over again. Wipe, install 10.6.4, then installed the 10.6.6 Combo update. After that, the box was reporting 10.6.6 finally. Fired up the App Store and the purchase went perfectly!

Another oddity popped up last night, but that's for another thread. :)

Thanks again, everyone!
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear that you finally got your brain damaged machine to respond to therapy. :) I kind of thought that was the problem when I suggested the reset. Anyway, have fun with your "new" Mac.

Reaction score
official release of 10.6.7 and still App store problems...

I've installed the official release and everything is up to date (update wise) but I still can't get the app store to purchase anything. I have it synced with my iTunes account (no troubles) and I can pull the store up and browse/read/yada-yada but when I try to purchase something like XCode 4 (only reason I upgraded to 10.6 :) or even something tiny like one of the free apps I get the busy icon and the store becomes unresponsive. even let it sit for a while (LOL 10 mins flies by when your workin:) and still nothing I end up having to force quit.

Any ideas...or any more info you need from my end to help figure this out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.