Just recovered my hard drive...now weird problem

C

CoryL

Yesterday I had the OS lock-up. I couldn't Force-Quit my way out and was forced to hard re-boot the system. I ended up with the "Blue Screen of Death." So I ran DiskWarrior and was able to get things in order.

However, in "Finder" or my hard drive, many of my folder names are in Japanese, Korean, or Chinese and it won't let me rename them. My settings are all in US English. All of my applications' title bars and menus are in US English. It is rather annoying to have to look at the icon to figure out what is what.

I reinstalled v10.4.2 without any change.

Any suggestions on how to manually edit them deeper in the system or other possible soluions or does this seem like some by-product of the hard disk recovery from DiskWarrior? I really don't want to have to erase the hard drive and start all over.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My suggestion would be to change the whole thing to a language you may be able to somewhat recognize (do a screen shot first to know where to change settings) and then to change it back to english. Perhaps you can shake something loose. Something similar happened to me in Jaguar and just by doing that it worked. I wish I had more for you.

OP
C

CoryL

Bingo!!! I don't know why I hadn't thought about doing that. The whole melt down of the hard drive on a system that isn't supposed to have "Blue Screen of Death" really flustered me, especially as a convert from Windows.

Thanks again!

Cory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.