AppleTV2 not playing movied files that played on 1st Gen

Reaction score
i have 100+ movies stored on an external hard drive that I ripped with Handbrake using various settings overtime as I experimented for the best picture. All of these files will stream perfectly to my 1st Gen AppleTV. However, when I try to watch them via home sharing on AppleTV2 for most movies I get a message saying something like "An error occured in retrieving this content" some movies, though, do play on the AppleTV2.

The common denominator for those that DO play is that, when looking at the summary info in iTunes the files state "Profile: Low Complexity" The files that do not play contain no profile information.

Is this a problem with my encoding? Does the Second Gen. AppleTV have streaming limitations not found on the First Gen.? Any help would be appreciated because I am not looking forward to re-encoding 100 movies.

Also, have people had luck with the AppleTV2 preset in the current release of Handbrake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
i have 100+ movies stored on an external hard drive that I ripped with Handbrake using various settings overtime as I experimented for the best picture. All of these files will stream perfectly to my 1st Gen AppleTV. However, when I try to watch them via home sharing on AppleTV2 for most movies I get a message saying something like "An error occured in retrieving this content" some movies, though, do play on the AppleTV2.

The common denominator for those that DO play is that, when looking at the summary info in iTunes the files state "Profile: Low Complexity" The files that do not play contain no profile information.

Is this a problem with my encoding? Does the Second Gen. AppleTV have streaming limitations not found on the First Gen.? Any help would be appreciated because I am not looking forward to re-encoding 100 movies.

Also, have people had luck with the AppleTV2 preset in the current release of Handbrake?

I have no problems using the Handbrake settings for the ATV2 with my ATV2. I'm actually exceptionally pleased with it all.

In the case of your videos not playing, it may be a simple thing to fix. Grab an app called Subler, then open one of the videos you are having trouble into it. Highlight the video track, then under the setting for H.264 Video Profile/Level, change it to Main @ 3.1. Once done, save it (this will NOT re-encode the video or cause you to lose any data), then test it out. Hopefully that will do the trick.

The videos I have that I ripped using the ATV2 presets show the profile level as High @ 3.1, which is not a selectable option in Subler. I'm guessing that the ATV2 supports a slightly higher level than the old ATV, and Subler hasn't been updated yet to allow that selection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.