my imac won't boot up, only gets as far as spinning wheel and mac logo

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, my imac G5 was behaving a little oddly, lots of spinning wheels so thought I'd try and archive and install snow leopard again to see if that would sort out, but wouldn't let me and now when I switch on my imac I only get as far as the grey screen and the mac logo, and it just stays there. I've tried resetting the PRAM as well as holding down x when I switch on the computer with no luck. With the original install discs I can get as far as disk utility but it won't let me verify my hard drive, an error sign pops up after a few moments. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me, my imac G5 was behaving a little oddly, lots of spinning wheels so thought I'd try and archive and install snow leopard again to see if that would sort out, but wouldn't let me and now when I switch on my imac I only get as far as the grey screen and the mac logo, and it just stays there. I've tried resetting the PRAM as well as holding down x when I switch on the computer with no luck. With the original install discs I can get as far as disk utility but it won't let me verify my hard drive, an error sign pops up after a few moments. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any advice.

The clear problem here is that Snow Leopard won't install on a G5 Mac. It's for Intel-Macs only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day Michael and welcome to the forums.

No doubt your iMac is running either Leopard or Tiger. Boot from whatever install disc by popping in the DVD, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, and after selecting language go into Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. From your description you may well have a dying hard drive so trust everything is backed up to an external drive?

OP
H
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for replying, my fault it is an intel imac. I've gotten into disk utilities using my original install discs but won't let me repair, only verify, and than the verification process breaks down half way through. I've backed all my images (I'm a photographer) but haven't my accounts from the last couple of years , I know really stupid, so obviously my stress levels are going through the roof. do you think if I take it into a repair place they'll be able to get to them. On disk utilites, in the restore section I can see the data on my hard drive, I just can't select it to restore onto another drive.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying, my fault it is an intel imac. I've gotten into disk utilities using my original install discs but won't let me repair, only verify, and than the verification process breaks down half way through. I've backed all my images (I'm a photographer) but haven't my accounts from the last couple of years , I know really stupid, so obviously my stress levels are going through the roof. do you think if I take it into a repair place they'll be able to get to them. On disk utilites, in the restore section I can see the data on my hard drive, I just can't select it to restore onto another drive.

Thanks again

It looks like your drive may be toast. There are several data recovery utilities you could try. Check this thread for options:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...541-macintosh-os-x-data-recovery-options.html

The one I mentioned in that thread, Disk Drill, can be used for free just to see if the files are recoverable.

Reaction score
Similar issue . . .

Should I post question here or start new thread?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello,

Here's the set up: Boot-up wheel was just spinning. A friend tried Tech Tool Pro ( I believe), no good. I tried Restore in Disk Utility to back up HD, no go (I/O error). I didn't have any backups via Time Machine or anything else. (Lesson learned.) I ran repair disk in Disk Utility, and it says the HD appears to be OK.

I was able to copy documents, photos, clips and music via Volume Transfer (firewire to 2nd Mac) onto an external HD. So I'm ready to erase the Macbook's HD and reload software. Of course, I am open to any additional repair idea before blowing up the Macbook HD.

Here are questions:

1. If Disk Utility didn't work to Restore, it may not work to Erase/Format the HD. How else can I wipe the drive?

2. What files/folders, in addition to my documents and media, do I also need to copy to my external drive? I have an iPod. Do I need any files backed up that will help iTunes play music or video?

3. I had a ton of Stickies on my desktop. Where can I find them?

4. I was able to copy almost all my files from the iPhoto Library/Originals folder, but I was not able to copy much else from the iPhoto Library. How many of these system files do I really need? Should I spend more effort to copy them, or will a reinstall rebuild them?

Lots of questions, I know. I hope someone can't refer me to a page that can help me walk through this. Basically, I've backed up all my media files and documents. What else should I save to help me rebuild my computer after I reformat my drive? Anything else on Home/Library, for example?

Many, many thanks for any help . . .

S. Deez
Apple, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mid -late 2009 Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,

Here's the set up: Boot-up wheel was just spinning. A friend tried Tech Tool Pro ( I believe), no good. I tried Restore in Disk Utility to back up HD, no go (I/O error). I didn't have any backups via Time Machine or anything else. (Lesson learned.) I ran repair disk in Disk Utility, and it says the HD appears to be OK.

I was able to copy documents, photos, clips and music via Volume Transfer (firewire to 2nd Mac) onto an external HD. So I'm ready to erase the Macbook's HD and reload software. Of course, I am open to any additional repair idea before blowing up the Macbook HD.

Here are questions:

1. If Disk Utility didn't work to Restore, it may not work to Erase/Format the HD. How else can I wipe the drive?

The bigger question is if you should even continue using that drive. It sounds like it's crashing. If it's not, judging from your i/o error message, you may have a problem with the motherboard. And if that is the problem, then there's no need to bother reinstalling OS X (though you will need servicing). But TechTool Pro didn't turn up anything? Try Onyx to verify the disk and check the SMART status. If the drive checks out, then run the Apple Hardware Test.

2. What files/folders, in addition to my documents and media, do I also need to copy to my external drive? I have an iPod. Do I need any files backed up that will help iTunes play music or video?

Eh…. really it's best to just clone your drive over to an external one beforehand, then use the Migration Assistant to migrate your account back over once you've reinstalled OS X. Since you were able to copy some files using Firewire Target Mode (I assume that's what you did with the other Mac), then use SuperDuper to clone it. Probably best to use a different external drive… since you now have safe backups of your important stuff… just in case your internal drive does go bellyup. You could also simply copy your user folder over to the external drive. The Migration Assistant should be able to migrate you back over just with that.

3. I had a ton of Stickies on my desktop. Where can I find them?

Mac OS X: How to back up contents of Stickies notes

4. I was able to copy almost all my files from the iPhoto Library/Originals folder, but I was not able to copy much else from the iPhoto Library. How many of these system files do I really need? Should I spend more effort to copy them, or will a reinstall rebuild them?

Reinstalling will wipe your drive. You need to recover in advance anything you don't want to lose.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

I don't have access to the host computer just now, so I couldn't run Onyx. But I did run the hardware test. It found this error:

4HDD/11/40000004:SATA (0,0)

I appreciate your last e-mail, and would be grateful for any further advice.

Many thanks!

SD

Reaction score
Replace Hard Drive

Hello Life,

I see that I need to replace the hard drive. I'm starting a new thread; I want to make sure I am getting the right drive.

Thanks again!

sd

Reaction score
Hi guys, just logged on to start a new thread about my problem, but might as well post here as I'm having a nightmare too.

Having problems with my IMac. It was running slow for a few days and all of a sudden has just decided not to boot up at all now. I have tried booting in safe mode, single-user mode, and from the OS disc, nothing. All I get when I turn it on is the apple symbol and the little twirly round thing underneath...but it doesn't load up no matter how long I leave it for.

I rather stupidly haven't backed anything up (i know)...any experts on here that have any idea what else to try? Could my Hard Drive be dead? It's only about 2 years old.

Thanks in advance, I'm getting desperate now!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can't boot the machine from your OS X install DVD, you won't be able to check and verify if the hard drive is OK or not. Have you tried booting from the install DVD by holding down the OPTION key?

Also, make sure that you're using the correct OS X DVD to boot with. If it's not the one that came with your iMac, it probably will not work.

Reaction score
I was actually using the one that came with my Macbook as I can't fine the IMac one, assumed it would work the same. Is there any way around this if I can't find it?

I have actually managed to get it into single user mode and am just doing a file system check. I typed in - fsck -fy ...I actually have NO IDEA what I am doing, i'm just trying stuff i've found by googling. When I typed it in I got the following:

** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking journaled HFS Plus Volume
** Checking Extents Overflow File
** Checking Catalogue File
Failed to issue COM RESET after 3 attempts. Failing...

I'm guessing that's not good?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do need the correct disk in order to run Verify and Repair. However, it appears that you were able to get FSCK to run from Single User Mode.

The result of the FSCK is stating that the drive probably has failed. It may be possible to remove the drive (not an easy task with an iMac) and place it in a USB SATA carrier where you can try to access it and maybe get at some of your data. Otherwise, everything on the drive may be lost.

There are also software solutions to recover the data, however, all are expensive. Data Rescue 3.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model. Take a look at the instructions for removing and replacing the hard drive in your iMac. Like I mentioned above, it's a moderately difficult procedure.

Reaction score
You do need the correct disk in order to run Verify and Repair. However, it appears that you were able to get FSCK to run from Single User Mode.

The result of the FSCK is stating that the drive probably has failed. It may be possible to remove the drive (not an easy task with an iMac) and place it in a USB SATA carrier where you can try to access it and maybe get at some of your data. Otherwise, everything on the drive may be lost.

There are also software solutions to recover the data, however, all are expensive. Data Rescue 3.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model. Take a look at the instructions for removing and replacing the hard drive in your iMac. Like I mentioned above, it's a moderately difficult procedure.

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, much appreciated.

Ok update. I have found 2 discs that definitely came with the Mac. Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and Disc 2. Is that what I need? I have managed to boot from the disc and actually get something up on the screen for the first time today. I have:

Welcome
Mac OS X Leopard installer
But then when I continue it's asking me where i'd like to install Mac OS X. If I select the drive and continue will that re-install it and lose everything? Or does it then give me other options of what to do, i.e. get into the disc utility. That is what I'm trying to do isn't it? I read that somewhere else.

Forgive any stupid questions, i'm pretty much a novice at this sort of thing. Although I have to say i've learnt a few lessons today ;)

Reaction score
Ok UPDATE:

I've somehow managed to boot it up again into my home screen. Obviously I don't want to turn it off again as it probably won't reload. I am anxious to copy everything off it asap before it crashes again. Anything I try happens VEERRRY slowly. I need to get an external hard drive to back it up and then use time machine I guess, never done it before. That's if it lets me before it freezes again. is there anything else I can do to recover important files before then?

Sorry to be a pain guys, any help much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's OK. You're on the right track. Just go ahead and backup everything that you can while the drive is up and running.

As far as booting with your Leopard disk set..... When it asks about installing Leopard, exit out of that by clicking on the top menu "Utilities" and then click on "Disk Utility". From there go to the first aid tab and run Verify and Repair on the hard drive. But first, backup as much data as you can preferably using Time Machine to an external drive.

Reaction score
It's OK. You're on the right track. Just go ahead and backup everything that you can while the drive is up and running.

As far as booting with your Leopard disk set..... When it asks about installing Leopard, exit out of that by clicking on the top menu "Utilities" and then click on "Disk Utility". From there go to the first aid tab and run Verify and Repair on the hard drive. But first, backup as much data as you can preferably using Time Machine to an external drive.

Thanks again. I tried to back up using Time Machine but there was about 130 Gig to copy, and it only did 4 gig (slowly) before it froze again. Booted it back up from the disk, did disc utility but wouldn't give me an option to repair, then when i tried to boot again it looked like it couldn't find a drive at all. Turned it off and left it overnight, came back on again this morning so i've been trying to copy a few things across onto a hard drive one by one, which I have done, but it keeps freezing half way when i try to export my mail from Entourage.

When and if I manage to try Time Machine again, should I bet doing something different rather than saving everything? Or is that what needs to be done to restore it in future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.