RAM issues with MBP 6,2 (mid 2010)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 i5/2.53/6GB/500GB Momentus XT
Hi all,
I have strange thing. Bought 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM. Sticked in both, and my comp started to crash giving me grey screen every like 10-20 minutes and disk errors.
I found that if i leave 6GB in, of which the for 4GB go in the socket 1, it works although crashes sometimes, like once in a couple of weeks. In addition to that i have this screenshot:
1fa47f6a5913.png

lines (in Russian):

Size:
Type:
Speed:
Producer:
Inv. number:
S/N:
The RAM brand is KomputerBay, based on hynix chips. Amazon said they are specially for MBPs.

Could anyone comment on the issue?
I would not worry, but i have this 4GBs uselessly on my table, and i'm about to get an SSD for the OS partition, so i understand that it will need all of the RAM available to make it very fast.

Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Seems like a bad ram to me, in your place I would test the memory with a specialized software, something like memtest (you can find this in many places (a linux distribution for example) at least. If then you see errors, it'll be a good idea to ask the seller for a replacement.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run the extended check with Apple Hardware Tool and it found now problems at all. I also have the Momentus XT HDD by Seagate. This one has 4GB of flash drive for cash and stuff+500GB of space. Could i have problems with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Put back both the original sticks, and if you don't get any crashes then you know that it is that RAM.
Why bring the HD into the equation?
Troubleshooting is pretty much a process of elimination.
AHT and most other software or equipment used to diagnose problems with computers, cars, etc. can more often than not only find the problem if it faults during testing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I brought HDD to give as much info about the system as possible. Living with the original sticks for several weeks is needed to see if it crashes. Is there any hardware to check the RAM at computer workshops?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I just reread your post.

Bought 8GB (2x4GB) of RAM. Sticked in both, and my comp started to crash giving me grey screen every like 10-20 minutes
Then you can safely assume that the RAM is no good.

if i leave 6GB in, of which the for 4GB go in the socket 1, it works although crashes sometimes, like once in a couple of weeks.
Once again, safe to assume that the RAM is no good.

and disk errors.
What disk errors?

Is there any hardware to check the RAM at computer workshops?

Sure there is, but as I stated
Troubleshooting is pretty much a process of elimination.
AHT and most other software or equipment used to diagnose problems with computers, cars, etc. can more often than not only find the problem if it faults during testing.

So, if you have RAM issues, putting back the original RAM is the best way to go, return your RAM and go to crucial.com or OWC and get your RAM from reputable dealers.

As for your HD, well firstly, you would not be alone in having problems with the Momentus XT, and based on what I have heard about it, I wouldn't touch it, and in all honesty I would return that too, and get something like the Hitachi 7K500 7200rpm HD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since i live in Russia, and this things i bought in the UK, it is going to be hard task. But i understand that it is my prob after all.
From the OWC i'm about to order the Mercury SSD drive and the data doubler to replace the CD with the HDD i have now. You rekon it would affect MBP if i use it as the secondary drive? The OS will be installed onto the SSD.

I'll test the memory first. I just found out, that Seagate has released a firmware update, so i'll try it first. So it may be not the RAM at the end...(hope)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would get the mercury extreme SSD from OWC.
They are the top of the line.
If you must, make the XT the secondary drive.

I'm sure you can return the RAM and HD if it was from Amazon.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've researched that there is no TRIM support in the Snow Leo, is this going to be the issue, even with the noatime enabled? I mean that the SSD does not live long. Or It does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does now.
Once you install the SSD, if you install the latest OS X 10.6.6 software update, you are up and running, but this is questionable with articles like this which suggest in update 10.7.7

http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/04/mac-os-x-10-6-to-get-ssd-trim-support/

http://www.gadgetlite.com/2011/03/08/trim-support-ssds-finally-shipping/

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=119994

Keep in mind that there are no Apple branded HDs or SSDs so I fail to see how that is possible, unless it has to do with the sandybridge processors.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SSD is definitely going to be either OWC, Intel or Crucial. I've read that everything else is not worth it. 60GB is far enough for the MacOS X and other Apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OWC mercury extreme is the best available at this stage.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the original RAM the thing stil appeared today (after like 2 weeks). The HDD frimware got updated. May be the 10.6.7 will cure it? Does anyone else has it?
Could it be some software problem? Any app?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found that the original memory is ok. Even the adium, which used to log out frequently, is now stable. It was the RAM 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I found that the original memory is ok. Even the adium, which used to log out frequently, is now stable. It was the RAM 100%.

Glad to see that you got it worked out. You try and get the company to send you sticks of RAM back.

- Kyle

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sent it back already. Amazon will gladly refund the money and the DHL postage from Russia. Contacted OWC and got the new sticks from them. Should work fine. )

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazon UK has paid for the return postage and is going to refund me money completely. At the moment I'm waiting for my parcel from the Other World Computing. they had a deal for 60GB ssd and data doubler (the cd-rom frame) and 2x4gb memory for like $104. F.. the post services. I wish i paid for the DHL or fed express. It would cost me $80 instead of $43 i paid the USPS for 3-5 day delivery. And it has been a week already. ((( so disappointing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Data doubler+ssd deal costs $179. Sorry for misleading info. Still great. Not an advert!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.