Disc Drive Problems

Reaction score
Okay MacFans,

I recently visited our closest mac store and they informed me that I should get a new disc drive. My mac is about 5 years old, and I would like to keep it as long as I can. Is it better to get an internal or external one? I figure I should let mac do the replacement for assurance of a job well done, but is there a better way? Thanks for your time and consideration in the matter.

Joshua

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First, we don't have a clue what Mac you have. If it's an iMac, then you let them do it. Any other Mac, do it yourself.

If your internal is failing (I'm "assuming" since they're recommending you replace it) and you don't already have an external drive, then you need to get both - unless you care nothing about the possibility of losing all the data on your computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, most folks with first posts, don't usually recognize the diff between a disc/disk drive - so I made an "assumption" - I guess shame on me.

If you primarily use the disc drive at home, for a 5 year old MB, think I'd just get an external burner - much cheaper than replacing those slot load drives.

I haven't used the disc drive on mine in a year or two. Don't have a clue if it works or not.

You can check at ifixit.com for directions on replacing it to see if it's something you feel like attempting or paying someone.

OP
K
Reaction score
One last question

I will use it primarily to load snow leopard, and any other types of osx updates, but I would like to burn cds, load them, etc. Is there any specific external you would recommend? Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.