hacked?

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and I'd like to think of myself as a knowledgable computer user, although just minutes ago a prompt appeared on my screen and I was clicking on my screen and accidentally hit "ok". The prompt somewhat flashed before my eyes but it appeared to me that it said, something about my DHCP and an IP 10.0.1.3 had connected to my computer. So I kind of freaked out since no one should be connecting to my computer. I am running my internet over an oldschool airport (WEP Password protected) and thought oh $#@! someones trying to steal my information (passwords,credit card info, etc), so I unplugged my airport and turned off my wireless connection on my macbook pro then went into my console and checked out my system logs to try and find what happened. Well, this is what I found:

Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro kernel[0]: en1 duplicate IP address 10.0.1.3 sent from address 00:26:08:6f:ce:89
Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro configd[14]: DHCP en1: defending IP 10.0.1.3 against 00:26:08:6f:ce:89 1 (of 3)
Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro kernel[0]: en1 duplicate IP address 10.0.1.3 sent from address 00:26:08:6f:ce:89
Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro configd[14]: DHCP en1: defending IP 10.0.1.3 against 00:26:08:6f:ce:89 2 (of 3)
Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro configd[14]: DHCP en1: defending IP 10.0.1.3 against 00:26:08:6f:ce:89 3 (of 3)
Mar 11 18:38:39 macbook-pro configd[14]: DHCP en1: 10.0.1.3 in use by 00:26:08:6f:ce:89, DHCP Server 10.0.1.1

the 00:26:08:6f:ce:89 is a MAC address if I'm not mistaken. I hope it is nothing, but if someone could tell me what happened that would be great. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No one is connecting to your computer. There's another machine sitting on the same network as you that is using your IP. Either DHCP is misconfigured or someone is using a static IP that was set to the same as yours.

Can you tell us a bit about your network? Is this in your home, or is it a school or a business of some sort? With that information, we can give you a little more advice on how best work around it or correct the issue. My first inclination is that this is a school network.

OP
K
Reaction score
No one is connecting to your computer. There's another machine sitting on the same network as you that is using your IP. Either DHCP is misconfigured or someone is using a static IP that was set to the same as yours.

Can you tell us a bit about your network? Is this in your home, or is it a school or a business of some sort? With that information, we can give you a little more advice on how best work around it or correct the issue. My first inclination is that this is a school network.

Actually this is my home network, its an Airport with WEP Password Protection and after checking my sharing preferences I discovered that my file sharing and screen sharing were "ON" (I probably turned them on when I got the laptop so that doesnt seem suspicious). I could go around checking all of the Macbooks, iMacs, iPads and iPhones on my network at this time to determine if any of their MAC Addresses matched but I'm doubting it was any of them seeing as none of them were in use at the time (either powered off or in sleep mode). Should I check them anyways?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Actually this is my home network, its an Airport with WEP Password Protection and after checking my sharing preferences I discovered that my file sharing and screen sharing were "ON" (I probably turned them on when I got the laptop so that doesnt seem suspicious). I could go around checking all of the Macbooks, iMacs, iPads and iPhones on my network at this time to determine if any of their MAC Addresses matched but I'm doubting it was any of them seeing as none of them were in use at the time (either powered off or in sleep mode). Should I check them anyways?

Not necessary. MAC addresses are unique (always). My guess is someone is in the process of or has already broken your weak WEP encryption.

WEP is (and has been) dead for a long time. I honestly wish router manufacturers wouldn't even make it an option. It can be hacked in under a minute using readily available scripts (Google "hack WEP" if you don't believe me). Do yourself a favor - go into AirPort configuration NOW and switch the encryption over to WPA or WPA2 (better). Set a password. Then, reconnect all of your devices (you should be prompted for the same password for each when you go to connect). That will knock the 13-year-old from next door off your network, and greatly enhance your stability, ease of use and performance of your wireless network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.