bringing G4 overseas; power issues?

G

gp101

Hi, all. Brand, spanking new mac user here... so new, I don't even have the unit yet. Just ordered the 17" G4 and will have it for next week. My question:

I will be visiting family overseas, and I figure the 2 weeks off from work would make the perfect time to adjust to the whole mac world. I purchased it (and live in) the US. Can I plug in my Mac in England and Portugal using a simple adapter for my power supply (the kind of adapter you plug your AC into, then plug the adapter into socket), or will this fry my mac? Do I need a whole other type of AC?

Thanks.

Love these boards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you look at the Apple laptop adapter, you'll see
100-240V
50/60Hz
Meaning, it'll take line power almost anywhere in the world. You just need a plug that fits the wall socket. Apple sells the whole set as a $40 "Apple World Travel Adapter Kit," but you might could find them individually (eBay, or maybe beg at an Apple Store either here or in the UK.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
gp101 said:
I will be visiting family overseas.. Can I plug in my Mac in England and Portugal using a simple adapter for my power supply (the kind of adapter you plug your AC into, then plug the adapter into socket), or will this fry my mac? Do I need a whole other type of AC?

hey, you may wanna check this site out. they are cheap and ship fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Apple also sells them at the apple store if U have 1 nearby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or just get a simple adapter that plugs on top of the regular one for $2 at your nearest electronics store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.