Bloating Battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, my brother owns a 13 inch 2010 MacBook. He's had it for around a year and 3 months. About 2 weeks ago, he couldn't click down on his trackpad. So, he sent his laptop in to BestBuy and they said his battery is bloated and that this is something that normally happens to macs. They sent it off for 4 to 6 weeks to replace the battery and check for any permanent damage that may have been caused. Now, that's all fine and dandy, but he said that it normally happens to macs, as if it's a mac specific problem and it's common. Is this true. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and a bloated battery is not something I am looking forward to.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Nope. most macs dont get that. its a specific problem that mac encountered, you cant say every/most macs get this just because one did.

you could encounter it, but you could encounter any number of problems. hopefully, you encounter no problems.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Is there any reason why he may have gotten it? Faulty battery? Or did he let the battery get too clod or warm?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
could be any one of those things really. ive known batteries to lose quite alot of life if left in sweltering heat.

Reaction score
...he sent his laptop in to BestBuy and they said his battery is bloated and that this is something that normally happens to macs.

It was an occurrence that wasn't at all uncommon a few years ago with MacBooks and MacBook Pros:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Swollen Battery on 2007 Macbook Pro ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Senior Advisor "Expect Battery to Bulge" ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Swollen Battery on a 17in MacBook Pro ...

The Case of the Swollen MacBook Pro Battery [UPDATED] | Analysis | The Mac Observer

Consumer Reports has a helpful page about this problem:
Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Apple's bloating batteries (Update)

The upshot is that swelling batteries are not at all normal, but that it doesn't seem to be a common problem for post-2008 Mac laptop models. There was an extended warranty repair program for 2006 to 2008 models that has since expired.

If you experience a swelled battery it should definitely be taken care of by Apple if your Mac is still covered by AppleCare, and it probably should still be taken care of by Apple, even if your Mac is beyond the AppleCare period, if your battery isn't very old.

If you have any problems getting a swelled battery replaced, you should go over Apple Support's head and contact Apple Customer Relations.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The problem lies with Lithium Polymer batteries. Almost ALL companies who first started using and designing their own Li-po packs have had problems with bulging because you have to pack different layers of the battery, and then surround it by a stiff shell that will be strong enough to support the densely packed material from wanting to spread apart. And that can't be done unless you do trial an error...or just really make a *thick* battery shell...which is why you see less problems with newer Macs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was an occurrence that wasn't at all uncommon a few years ago with MacBooks and MacBook Pros:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Swollen Battery on 2007 Macbook Pro ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Senior Advisor "Expect Battery to Bulge" ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - Swollen Battery on a 17in MacBook Pro ...

The Case of the Swollen MacBook Pro Battery [UPDATED] | Analysis | The Mac Observer

Consumer Reports has a helpful page about this problem:
Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Apple's bloating batteries (Update)

The upshot is that swelling batteries are not at all normal, but that it doesn't seem to be a common problem for post-2008 Mac laptop models. There was an extended warranty repair program for 2006 to 2008 models that has since expired.

If you experience a swelled battery it should definitely be taken care of by Apple if your Mac is still covered by AppleCare, and it probably should still be taken care of by Apple, even if your Mac is beyond the AppleCare period, if your battery isn't very old.

If you have any problems getting a swelled battery replaced, you should go over Apple Support's head and contact Apple Customer Relations.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Thanks for the info. He bought his from Best Buy, so they are going to take care of it for him. I was just getting worried about a swollen battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.