Issues with Aperture 3

Jkt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been having issues with my Aperture 3 program and that is anytime I launch the program, the software goes in processing mode and I cannot do anything. Can someone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm not a Aperture expert but it seems to me that Aperture needs to process something. (thumbnails and previews usually)
Aperture from my brief experience with it, takes a long long time to process thumbnails and previews so would be best just to open Aperture when you don't need it or the computer, like overnight and let it just do its thing.

You can see what what Aperture is doing by pressing command+shift+0 (That's a zero)
Does it show anything when the activity window opens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm not a Aperture expert but it seems to me that Aperture needs to process something. (thumbnails and previews usually)
Aperture from my brief experience with it, takes a long long time to process thumbnails and previews so would be best just to open Aperture when you don't need it or the computer, like overnight and let it just do its thing.

You can see what what Aperture is doing by pressing command+shift+0 (That's a zero)
Does it show anything when the activity window opens?

This is correct. Any time I've ever reinstalled Aperture (which I do from time to time because i don't use it as a DAM, I use Lightroom, I just use it to learn how it works for personal reasons) I know that I have to do it when I'm not going to be using it or my computer, since it usually takes about 24 hours to process all of the thumbnails and previews. You'd be best served by not using the faces feature IMO, unless you find it truly useful.

Personally, I don't find it all that useful since I tag all my photos upon import, so any person (even candid) is just one click away. Anyway, just give it some time and let it do its thing.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, just let it finish going through it's analyzing for it's 'Faces' feature. I'd suggest setting your machine to not go to sleep and start up Aperture when you go to bed - it can take awhile depending on how many pics you've got.

OP
J

Jkt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It took almost a week and I decided to shut it off. I'll try again and leave it until it process

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
A week! How many images are we taking about here?

OP
J

Jkt

Reaction score
it's updating the library and processing a movie file. How can I fix this to not process a movie file? That's why its taking too long!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to select the movie file prcess in the activity window and click on "Cancel Task".
Then I would look for the video and remove it from Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So how did it all go with this? Did it finish well? Just so you know, for future reference, if you want to exclude certain file types during import, there's a drop down section where you can select specific things:

Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 2.43.59 PM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.