daw & control surface for imac

Reaction score
I'm giving up on my Tascam FW-1082 & Cubase LE package which worked fine on the old 2.16G imac but I can't get to run on the new quad-core. If someone can tell me what makes the new imacs happy I'll just capitulate and buy that. I haven't been without a studio in 20 years and would like to get over this hurdle asap.
thanx

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Have you been to the site to download the latest drivers for your gear?

if not: Apogee have some kind of deal with apple, and most of their stuff is "guaranteed" to work.

i like digidesign (or Avid, as they are now called) hardware. theyve just brought out a new range which is top notch.

also, M-Audio are supposed to be quite good. have you tried installing cubase? any error messages?

OP
F
Reaction score
Cubase install freezes when loading the VST inputs. I have Final Cut Studio so Soundtrack Pro will hold me 'til I decide what to do. Been thinking of ProTools for awhile. I know its ubiquitous and may be a safe road to ***.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Pro Tools for the win.

try hitting cmd + L during the install, give me the log error for the install.

OP
F
Reaction score
"installid-4966"

i get the "installed successfully" message but the application won't actually open. It freezes upon reaching the "load VST Multitrack" message. I installed cubase successfully on my old machine three years ago but I just migrated everything to the new machine last week. I think cubase may be seeing this as a second computer for which an installation may be prohibited. Thoughts?
thanks for your input by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Try contacting Steinburg about the authorization.

I know with Ableton, when trying to install it on my new computer, I "ran out" of authorizations during the authorization process, it came up with a field that basically sends an email to them with a reason for needing more authorizations.

Almost the next day, they sent me a reply saying I have 2 more. I just told them I changed hardware (i bought a custom PC that killed my old G4 in raw power).

If you have a legit COA for the software, taking a picture and sending them proof you own it may also help if your reasoning doesn't suffice, or they're a bit tougher on their policies (I've never used Cubase, so I'm not familiar with their customer support).

Furthermore, in terms of hardware, I've always been a fan of M-Audio. I used to have an Axiom49 that I used to control my software synths, act as a drum controller/sequencer, and could adjust parameters within my DAW. I'm also currently using an M-Audio firewire interface for my recordings (just simple home-stuff, nothing major yet).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.