Mac OS on Apple TV

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an Apple TV with a 140 gb HD. I tried converting movies so that the aTV would be able to play them, but that just takes to much time. After half a year I installed BOXEE and XBMC on it, but then I had streaming problems. What I want to do now is install Mac OS 10 on it. My question is whether or not the aTV is able to run Mac OS and play 1080p movies (from its HD) and whether it will be able to download torrentz etc.

Thank you in advance,
MBKTEL

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im gonna jump in here and say

1. most likely it will be too underpowered

2. its most likely illegal (breaks the EULA)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It is already running a stripped down version of Tiger and as Rob pointed out its too underpowered to run a full OS a Mac Mini would be better suited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello,
I have an Apple TV with a 140 gb HD. I tried converting movies so that the aTV would be able to play them, but that just takes to much time. After half a year I installed BOXEE and XBMC on it, but then I had streaming problems. What I want to do now is install Mac OS 10 on it. My question is whether or not the aTV is able to run Mac OS and play 1080p movies (from its HD) and whether it will be able to download torrentz etc.

Thank you in advance,
MBKTEL

Having had the original ATV and using a Patchstick to add extra functionality, I'm of the solid opinion that the ATV is a steaming pile of poo. Adequate for SD content and low bitrate HD perhaps, but as others have said, it already does run on Tiger and is badly underpowered.

Your best bet with the original ATV is to replace the Airport wireless card with a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder (see link below). This little gem adds hardware decoding for h.264 encoded files and reportedly will play 1080p content buttery smooth on the ATV. I have not used it myself, I should say. I actually have the ATV2 now and am very satisfied with it. It won't do high bitrate 1080p, but it handles high quality 720p content just fine, and the streaming is far smoother and less glitchy than my experiences with Plex on a Mac mini serving as an HTPC.
1080p Coming to Apple TV

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.