Second display issue.

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums.

I've got a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz with 3 GB running 10.5.8.

It's not a major problem, the machine itself is still running great for a 4/5 year old computer. It's been bugging me for a while though.

My primary display is a Samsung SyncMaster P2350, plugged into the DVI port of my graphics card. I decided to hook my Sony Bravia TV up to my Mac for watching online TV and stuff, and for the first week everything was perfect. Both screens where happily running at 1920x1080, I also noticed the OS recognized the second display as a Sony Bravia TV. About a week later, I switched the TV on to stream a film off the internet and there is a 4 inch black bar down the left hand side of the TV. The screen is basically squashed 4 inches from the left. The full desktop is visible.

I've tried every resolution and messed with the TV setting countless times, but with no solution. Also, the display prefences only recognizes the TV as a VGA display now; don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've tried every resolution and messed with the TV setting countless times, but with no solution. Also, the display prefences only recognizes the TV as a VGA display now; don't know if that has anything to do with it.

That may be the reason you lost the full resolution of the Sony. It's either that or your graphics card is acting up. Try doing a SMC reset to see if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.