Jailbroken: Can't go back?

Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.2.1), but, aside from running VLC, there's nothing particularly compelling about keeping it. So I went to restore the system, and got an error message, "This iphone 'Shikarnov's iPhone' could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Anybody have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What ipsw are you pointing to? 4.3 released are you trying to point to that?

Secondly look up Quick Reply,, SBSettings, Folder Enhancer, Open-SSH, Veency, Bluetooth Profile Selector, Five Icon Dock, Five Icon Switcher, IntelliScreen, WeatherIcon, and Infinidock before you make up your mind that there isn't anything compelling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Oh come on Ivan.. what could possibly be compelling about not having to pay your phone provider an extra $30-$60 a month for the ability to use your phone or iPad as an ad hoc (or full) network connection for unlimited and free tethering ? Pfft... I'd have to agree.. that is not compelling at ALL! ;D

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah - pdanet - good point doug. Yeah - I have issue with having an unlimited plan - and paying an extra $20 for the same pipe - but only allowed 2GB when using it a certain way. That just seems like corporate greed to me. I mean if you are going to charge me $20 at least give me the same unlimited data.

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
I actually don't have the ipsw files anymore. The Mac on which I originally jailbroke the phone (and then needed to have with me in order to reboot the phone with the tethered break) died, and now I'm on a new system...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You will need to restore to 4.3. You should be able to just plug into iTunes and hit restore. iTunes will download the 4.3 firmware and then install.

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
Sadly, IvanLasston, that also didn't work. I downloaded the firmware file from the site you suggested, and did an ALT+Restore. iTunes asked me to locate the file, which I did, but still iTunes reached out to talk to Apple and declared my phone ineligible - again.

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
I even denied iTunes access to the Internet via Little Snitch, and it still have the same error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the Verizon iPhone or the AT&T iPhone? If you have the Verizon iPhone - are you trying to use 4.3? I don't believe that 4.3 is out for Verizon yet - you have to use 4.2.6.

OP
Shikarnov
Reaction score
It's finally restoring... I had to put it into recovery mode first, and then restore to iOS 4.3.

Thanks for the help everybody.

ETA: After working with it for most of today, I have to admit that the phone is noticeably faster than it was before my restore last night. It almost feels new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.