Eclipse Helios (3.6) unusable on OSX?

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm trying to use eclipse 3.6 (64bit cacoa) but run into crashes all the time.
To be correct it not really crashes, it just does not respond anymore after some simple actions for example opening a project.
The same applies to STS 2.6.0 and Eclipse Indigo.

Sometimes eclipse hangs with a 100% CPU load, sometimes no load at all but
the process DirectoryService has a very high load.
I already tried to improve things by giving more (1024mb) memory to eclipse via settings in eclipse.ini but no luck.

Im running OSX 10.6.6 and Java 1.6.0_24 on an MBP 5,1 (Core 2 Duo 2,8 Ghz, 8G RAM).
I also tried it on a newer MBP but experienced the same issues.

I know a lot java developers are using MBPs, did anyone have similar issues? I am out of ideas.

markus

Reaction score
DirectoryService

Hi,

I had the same problem, and it turned out (after Enabling Directory Service debug logging) that Eclipse triggers automountd (automatic mount / unmount daemon for autofs) so many times that it slows down everything. From the log it looks like Eclipse is trying to locate src.jar and src.zip and that triggers the automount daemon.

I solved it editing the /etc/auto_master file by removing the /home auto_home -nobrowse line.

Issue the following command to tell the automount daemon about the change:
sudo automount -vc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.