iOS 4.3 draining battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that right after updating to iOS 4.3 they're iphone 4 batteries have been draining MUCH faster than normal.

I've noticed this since I updated a day ago on my phone and the batter and phone are brand new. Battery life was fantastic until this update, now it's starting to remind me of my 3G.

Anyone else seeing this too?

P.S. Already hard booted the phone so I don't think that's an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Did you do a restore from previous iPhone? It seems that this was a problem with the old phone as well. I tend not to restore and just - redo the phone with every major upgrade. Otherwise I have seen battery drain like you are talking about.

Reaction score
I have also noticed a reduction in battery life. Does anyone know if it's possible to go back to 4.2?

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, it's all over the place. After my update the battery life was complete and utter garbage. HOWEVER...I did find a fix online and yes it does really work. Not sure if it's 100% back to normal but very close if not.

Anyway, so with 4.3 Apple automatically runs Ping and game center in the background...constantly apparently. What you need to do is just go to settings -> general -> restriction (enter a passcode if you have one to get there) -> and then just restrict ping completely but turning it off. I also turned off game center completely for good measure cause I never really used it. Also for good measure, hard boot your phone and your battery life should be return to normal or near normal levels.

Kinda crappy for Apple to do that in the first place with out letting people know or offering an immediate fix, but too late now. Let me know if this works for you too. If I remember correctly I had to go through a full charge first (let it drain and then recharge fully) before I remember it returning back to normal.

As a side note and a lesson learned...I've decided to wait on all new firmware updates for at least a couple of weeks and scan the forums and news sites to see how it's turning out for others and the associated problems if any. Messing with my battery life to such a degree is a big one for me.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Make sure you're not constantly running applications (check the App Drawer) in the background. Turning down your screen brightness and shutting off bluetooth (unless you use it constantly) and auto-bright also helps.

Reaction score
Thanks for the Ping tip. Game center and everything else I could turn down or off is already done. Keeping the app drawer cleaned out is a PITA. Every app that will multitask doesn't need to all the time. We should have the option if we want specific apps in the background and when we want them there.

How do I do a hard boot?

I am also going to wait a couple weeks when updates are released.

I'll let you know if this works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Thanks for the info, very useful

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
I noticed the battery drain big time! I shut off push email and found my battery life soooo much better. I am downloading 4.3.1 right now so hopefully this will fix it.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the Ping tip. Game center and everything else I could turn down or off is already done. Keeping the app drawer cleaned out is a PITA. Every app that will multitask doesn't need to all the time. We should have the option if we want specific apps in the background and when we want them there.

How do I do a hard boot?

I am also going to wait a couple weeks when updates are released.

I'll let you know if this works for me.

Easy. To hard boot just hold down the home button and the on off button at the top right on the phone. You'll get the slide to turn off screen but don't do anything just keep holding the buttons down together and it'll then shut down completely. Then just press the on off button on the top right again to start up and there you go :).

Thanks for the info, very useful

Cheers :)

Hugh

No problem! I hope it works for everyone that's having the issue!

I noticed the battery drain big time! I shut off push email and found my battery life soooo much better. I am downloading 4.3.1 right now so hopefully this will fix it.

Yup, it seems like so many folks have. Don't mess with people's batteries that's for sure ;).

That's an interesting bit there about the emails though. While it seems my battery life is more or less restored I'm gonna give this a shot see what else might come of it.

Let me know if it works! I HOPE that 4.3.1 fixes all the issues with the battery and others but I'm gonna wait a couple of weeks before downloading it and check out what others are saying. Not sure I trust it just yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5, iMac 20", iPhone G3, iPhone G4
iOS 4.3.1 solves the problem

I've had the same problem with iOS 4.3, but after I have upgraded to iOS 4.3.1 my battery time seems better than ever :)

Reaction score
Tried what TheGreatApple suggested and my battery life seems to have gone back to normal or at least really close to it. Still waiting to see what is said about 4.3.1 before I update to it.

Thanks for tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.