Power Mac OS install HELP!

Reaction score
I just received my 1st MAC desktop and it has no hard drive. I put in a blank formatted(thru windows) hard drive in and I am trying to load tiger on it using cds. When i power it up and hold down the ALT key on my windows type keyboard I get to what looks like the screen to select what drive to use but besides an over arrow and a refresh button but no devices. How do I load tiger onto a hard drive then?
Thanks for all your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like it's not reading your Tiger disc. Is it a known good disc?

OP
C
Reaction score
i believe it is. i also tried to use a 8gb flash with leopard iso on it and nothing. In disk utility it does not even show any devices. That does not seem right. There is a drive and a dvd drive in it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i believe it is. i also tried to use a 8gb flash with leopard iso on it and nothing. In disk utility it does not even show any devices. That does not seem right. There is a drive and a dvd drive in it.

What color is the disc?

OP
C
Reaction score
i know but i didn't want to spend the cash on software for a system that i don't even know if it works.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know but i didn't want to spend the cash on software for a system that i don't even know if it works.

Unfortunately, you're going to be caught between a rock and a hard place here, not knowing the nature of the disc.

OS X comes in two varieties - system restore discs, which are model-specific and retail discs, which will work on just about anything. If you don't know what you have, there's not much you can do.

And since this forum doesn't permit discussions related to software piracy, we can't help you here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.