Will this DEFINITELY work

Reaction score
I have bought a second hand MacBook Pro and I switch it on and a box comes up with guest account and Macbook pro.If I click on Guest Account the box wobbles and nothing else happens.If I click on Macbook pro a box comes up requiring a password.
I have been given a password by the previous owner but it does not work.I put the password in and the box wobbles and nothing else happens.I have contacted the previouse owner and he has had "a stab" at some more passwords none of wich work.The prevoiuse owner has said"I should put the disc in and reboot the computer holding the C button down and follow the instructions to reset".I don't mind doing that but I must know that it will reset and I will have NO problems.If there is anyway that it will not reset I shall just ask for a refund.Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do as he suggests to reset the password.

Or just do a clean install to get rid of all the previous owners junk.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do as he suggests to reset the password.

Or just do a clean install to get rid of all the previous owners junk.

There are two grey discs one says "Mac OS X install DVD" and the other "Applications install DVD".Which one do I use?Thanks

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There are two grey discs one says "Mac OS X install DVD" and the other "Applications install DVD".Which one do I use?Thanks

The Mac OS X install DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I intalled the OS X DVD it was running I pressed key C but it just stays on the login box nothing happens.

You have to insert it, turn off your Mac, and then press the power button. After you press the power button hold down C. This will boot off of the CD, instead of the HDD so that you can actually run utilities, or do a clean install if you wish.

OP
K
Reaction score
You have to insert it, turn off your Mac, and then press the power button. After you press the power button hold down C. This will boot off of the CD, instead of the HDD so that you can actually run utilities, or do a clean install if you wish.

Thats got it going I have gone to utilities and reset password it says"select the mac OS X disc which contains a password to rest" there is a picture of a Macbook and a Mac os X DVD. which one do I click on. Or do you recomend a clean install.Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats got it going I have gone to utilities and reset password it says"select the mac OS X disc which contains a password to rest" there is a picture of a Macbook and a Mac os X DVD. which one do I click on. Or do you recomend a clean install.Thanks again.

The MacBook HDD is the startup disc for the computer, and contains the password information. You need to select that instead of the Mac OS X DVD.

I, personally, suggest a clean install. If you purchased this computer used from a stranger, there shouldn't be any data on it that is particularly useful to you. If I were in your situation, I'd do a clean install and call it good. Now, that's just my opinion. I don't know if there's anything worth saving on that machine or anything.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have clicked on the Macbook icon HDD and tried to change the password but when I click save it says"the password entered has not been saved for the user Macbook pro(user).You may not have permission to edit this disk or a general failure has occured.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... Not sure about a GUI work around for that one. There is a way to do this via single user mode, but I'm not sure that is the best/only solution to this just yet. Does anyone have any other suggestions before doing password resets via single user mode?

Also, what version of OS X is this?

OP
K
Reaction score
It's mac OS X Version 10.6.6.It has allowed me into the sysyem even though I got the message shown in my previouse post.I have got the Screen up with the black and purple on it and can click onto the top bar ect everything seems OK.I get a message when I login saying "system was unable to unlock key chain" it then goes on to say how to create a new key chain.Is this key chain thing important?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keychain is the built in password manager for OS X. I do recommend setting a new one up. It will make your life easier. :) I will post directions if you need them, I am currently on my iPhone so I will keep this reply relatively short.

OP
K
Reaction score
Keychain is the built in password manager for OS X. I do recommend setting a new one up. It will make your life easier. :) I will post directions if you need them, I am currently on my iPhone so I will keep this reply relatively short.

If you could post directions it would be great.I am totally new to Macs and am a lot lost.Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, no problem. :)

Follow these steps provided by Apple.

Alternative Method:
Go to your user folder (I believe you said your user was named Macbook Pro, mine is James as you will see in the screen shot), then go to Library.

Inside your Library folder will be a folder called Keychains. You need to take this Keychains folder and drag it into the trash. You then need to restart your computer, or just log out and back in. A new Keychains folder will be created.

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

OP
K
Reaction score
Many thanks that has worked.Just got to learn all the things on the Macbook now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you've gotten logged in and everything then? Great! Glad to have helped. :) If you stumble upon any other problems, or have questions/concerns/input, stop by the forums!

Moss

C

chas_m

Kestral:

As has been said several times in this thread, leaving the owners' old junk on there and using his account is a HUGE SECURITY RISK for you and for them. You have been repeatedly advised to boot from the disk, ERASE the hard drive and restore the factory-default applications and settings from the DVD set you now own.

Is there some particular reason why you have ignored this very sound advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To agree with chas_m, I think it's a very good idea to wipe that drive clean before you use it for anything. You never know what kind of information he could have stored on there, or what he might be stealing from you if he's snooping around on it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Kestral:

As has been said several times in this thread, leaving the owners' old junk on there and using his account is a HUGE SECURITY RISK for you and for them. You have been repeatedly advised to boot from the disk, ERASE the hard drive and restore the factory-default applications and settings from the DVD set you now own.

Is there some particular reason why you have ignored this very sound advice?

I agree with you that it would be better to start with a clean install.But I don't know how to do that or if I have the correct discs ect.Also the Macbook has iLife and iWork on it,will I lose those?.How long does it take? The two discs I have are:Grey in colour and apple discs, one says"Mac OS X Install DVD version 10.5.7 disc version 1.1".The other says"Application Install DVD AHT version 3A174.Are the discs loepard or Snow leopard.Do I need any special numbers to use the Operating System once loaded like windows allways needs that long number I think it is called the registration Key? I need to know I have got all the thing I need before I start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.