• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Streaming/Video Recording Software and Equipment

Reaction score
So I'm interested in a couple things. First things first, I wanted to know about any good screen capture software that I can use for recording on my mac. I'm going to be doing some recordings of me playing Starcraft 2, so something that could keep up with the frames would be great.

I'm also interested in recording videos from my television of some PS3 gameplay. What kinds of equipment or software would you recommend for doing that?

Last but not least, if I'm not in the recording mood... I wanted to be able to stream this stuff. I don't know anything about streaming software, but something that could work with justin.tv or ustream.tv would be good.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

OP
G
Reaction score
This program looks great! If I wanted to record from my TV/PS3, what kinds of equipment would I need to get?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
hmm, i think probably analog to digital convertor. not too clued up on this.

just to note however a decent one can be quite expensive, and mac compatible ones are hard to come by.

or a dvd recorder, that records the tv.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well I guess I would need something that plugs in HDMI to my Mac. I'm sure they make those.. but I wouldn't know what it's called. But the thing is I would also need it to split from my TV and also to my Mac.

A video recorder for my TV wouldn't work because I would also need to stream sometimes.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
only the 27" iMacs are capable of video input. do you have one of those?

OP
G
Reaction score
At the lab I work at, we have a DVI capture card where I could literally plug in my Macbook Pro using a DVI cord and record whatever is playing on my Macbook. I don't want to have to buy something like that unless absolutely necessary. But from what I understand, that seems unrealistic because I think HDMI transfers at a much higher rate than like Firewire?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah didnt realise you were on a pro, im officially jealous ;)

for the HDMI v firewire thing, read this:

USB2 vs. Firewire vs. HDMI at DVinfo.net

some people have used these to capture PS3/tv:

Newegg.com - Canopus / Grass Valley Real-Time HDMI-to-HDV Conversion ADVC-HD50 HDMI Interface

obviously very expensive, but it apparently gives great results.

Macintosh Video Capture made easy with the Pinnacle Video Capture for Mac

this is a bit cheaper... I dont think its possible to do it without a capture card so it would involve some money spending.

i think some PS3 games allow you to record in the box however.

OP
G
Reaction score
Oh, that sucks. Yeah.. I figured streaming equipment would be expensive. Thank you for all your help and research.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats okay, enjoy Starcraft, it is a fantastic game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.