New Smart Cover

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
the link worked for me and isn't bamboo one of the lighter woods. I cant imagine it weighing more than the ipad.. but maybe it does.. I think it looks amazing as well. But I am more of a minimalist, less it more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
The main difference that strikes me is that the smart cover is just a screen protector, whereas the Apple case for the iPad1 provides protection from minor knocks to the whole device.

When I take my iPad1 with me beyond the house it always travels in another case as well as the Apple case. However when in the house it only has the Apple case. Not sure I would feel as happy with an iPad2 in only the smart cover.

Of course I cannot justify spending £700 less than a year ago on an iPad1 and then discarding that and spending the same again just because a new version is released - so the point is moot really. I might be a little different if I lived in the US and they were on sale for half that price.

The thing that worries me is that the same thing will happen with the iPad as happened with the iPhone - Apple will release an update to iOS which deliberately ruins the old model, in the hope of forcing people to buy the new one.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that if I had not bought an iPad1 I would be very happy to get an iPad2. This contrasts with the iPhone - I don't even like the look of the iPhone4, even if my iPhone3G is now much slower than it was with iOS3. However, having tried an Android I would probably still buy an iPhone, even if it had to be an iPhone4 :D

I don't think they did this intentionally more like they didn't test how the 4 software worked with older phones properly.

As nice as the new Ipad 2 is I don't personally think its worth upgrading if you have an Ipad 1 as:-

I am not going to use any mobile device as a camera substitute because no mobile device will beat a decent digicam.

Ipad 2 is thinner than the Ipad 1 but the Ipad one isn't exactly bulky and cumbersome.

Ipad 2 is faster than the Ipad 1 but the Ipad 1 isn't slow.

Granted if I hadn't of bought my Ipad last year then I would get a Ipad 2 now but I am more than happy with my Ipad 1.

Sorry if I have missed any points on the Ipad 2 but as I understand it those are the major three differences with the 1.

Reaction score
Not necessarily disagreeing with you. But as someone who upgraded, if you're happy with iPad 1, DO NOT play with an iPad 2. It's so much faster that it will be hard not to think about when you use your original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
They have them listed for the iPad2

as of 13:28 EDT today. $35

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hey KoDorSean, do you have the Macally Bookstand2r on and if so does it work like the smart cover? Does it have protection for the back? I can't really tell from the pics.

Yeah KoDorSean please let us know how it is when you get it. Some pictures would also be greatly appreciated.

Definitely give a report. Their site doesn't show much for pics. So it's like the Apple smart cover but has a back on it? It doesn't show what the back looks like.

It is on order. I paid an arm and a leg for shipping and "express service" so I hope to have it sometime this week. I will post pictures and my thoughts on it ASAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is on order. I paid an arm and a leg for shipping and "express service" so I hope to have it sometime this week. I will post pictures and my thoughts on it ASAP.

So apparently they are having some false advertisement issues and their "in stock" status when I placed my order really means "we are getting them in sometime next week and we will ship it as soon as we can".

I'll post pics and thoughts as soon as I get it. At this point it is looking like it might be a couple weeks. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
So apparently they are having some false advertisement issues and their "in stock" status when I placed my order really means "we are getting them in sometime next week and we will ship it as soon as we can".

I'll post pics and thoughts as soon as I get it. At this point it is looking like it might be a couple weeks. :(

wow... Sorry to hear buddy. You are taking it very well though ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Got the pink smart cover with my new iPad 2... I LOVE it! I love how it folds into a stand, it fits perfectly and works perfectly.

Reaction score
My red Smart Cover can via Fed-Ex yesterday and I am very happy with it. I love the leather smell too! I'm not big on cases as I am very careful with my electronics. I never so much as set my iPad/iPhone down on a hard surface, only on a magazine, paper, etc. More than anything it's a dust cover when the iPad's not in use. I am however going to pick up a "Case Logic" carry case (looks like a mini laptop bag) tomorrow for transporting it to work safely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I called them back late last week and was told that they are coming from Japan and with the current issues in Japan they have no clue when they will arrive. I canceled my order.

I just placed an order for a skin on this site.

Skins for iPad 2 | GelaSkins

OP
Leiyah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Those GelaSkins are really awesome! I want to order a few to adapt to my mood lol. I love that they advertise that they are compatible with the Apple Smart Covers (incase I decide to grab one) and that you can download the matching background image to go with your cover!

Thanks KoDor!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called them back late last week and was told that they are coming from Japan and with the current issues in Japan they have no clue when they will arrive. I canceled my order.

I just placed an order for a skin on this site.

Skins for iPad 2 | GelaSkins

These look great. But my only issue with them as well as the stealth armor (Fusion of Ideas | iPhone 4 Cases, iPhone 3Gs Cases, iPad Cases, iPod Cases, Screen Protector, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Screen Fix) is the corners!

They leave the corners of the iPad 2 with zero protection.

I think am gonna have to suck it up and go for one or the other. Thanks for sharing KoDor

Reaction score
I am returning my blue smart cover ...i just can't help feeling it's an over-hyped, over-priced piece of cloth. I refuse to spend additional money to find something to cover the back. Will most likely order a Snugg or Snugg-like cover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am returning my blue smart cover ...i just can't help feeling it's an over-hyped, over-priced piece of cloth. I refuse to spend additional money to find something to cover the back. Will most likely order a Snugg or Snugg-like cover.

I can agree with you that it is over-hyped.

But it is extremely functional. I wasn't going to initially buy it, but even with my iPad 1 I wanted something that kept the iPad covered, but not bulk it up.

With the smart cover that was exactly what I got, now I am not too happy that I had to spend an extra $35 for the back cover from FusionOfIdeas (StealthArmor) but after I installed it and saw how cool it looks I feel better about it.

But then again, like the old saying goes, To Each His Own!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Looks like the DODO back is available for the Ipad2 now

BOOKback for iPad2 | DODOcase

My wife has preordered one of the grove baboo cases so we will see how long we are talking before they start producing them and shipping them.

Reaction score
My red Smart Cover can via Fed-Ex yesterday and I am very happy with it. I love the leather smell too! I'm not big on cases as I am very careful with my electronics. I never so much as set my iPad/iPhone down on a hard surface, only on a magazine, paper, etc. More than anything it's a dust cover when the iPad's not in use. I am however going to pick up a "Case Logic" carry case (looks like a mini laptop bag) tomorrow for transporting it to work safely.

I am getting the red leather smart cover. I would love to see pics if you could post some? Thanks,

Cathy

Reaction score
Not necessarily disagreeing with you. But as someone who upgraded, if you're happy with iPad 1, DO NOT play with an iPad 2. It's so much faster that it will be hard not to think about when you use your original.

I wish you wouldn't have said that. I'm hoping I don't really like the 2 but I'm going to look at one tomorrow. I remember when I went to the Apple store last year when the Ipad was released. I was sure I was just checking it out but I ordered one on the spot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I was on the fence about my smartcover, but I've found it to work very well and when folded back in the triangle position it also makes a nice handle for extensive holding.

It's getting a bit pricey all around, but my plan is to keep the smart cover, wrap up the ipad in Zagg for surface protection, and get a super-thin slipcase for carrying around. I thin that'll offer the best overall protection while maintaining the ultra-thinness keeping it under wraps while walking around to avoid advertising "steal me" to everyone on the streets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.