Microsoft Outlook for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.4Ghz: 4GB Memory)
I was wondering if there is setting so that when you open an email and delete it then it will automatically open the next new one instead of going back to the inbox? I know on the windows version you can set this but could not find it on mac version. Thank you in advance. I just got my copy of office for mac yesterday and am going through all the features now to see what is similar to windows version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that chscag but I saw other questions about email in that forum heading so that it was okay to post there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
If there is a way I haven't found it. I will be anxious to see if I am missing something.

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this on another forum and it dosen't look there is a feature for this right now so hope that there is a demand for Microsoft to make this a future update

Repost:

Answer Re: Automatically open next message

This option is not available in Outlook for Mac, unfortunately.

Best available workaround is to read your email in the reading pane -- when you delete a message, the active message switches to the next one in line...

In general, Outlook for Windows users are going to find that the Mac version is "missing" features. In Entourage (the prior email/info client for Mac), many WinOutlook features were handled by scripts. However, Outlook 2011 appears to have broken a lot of the Entourage scripts. So until the script-writing experts catch up, or Microsoft issues updates, we will have to live without some convenience features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I found this on another forum and it dosen't look there is a feature for this right now so hope that there is a demand for Microsoft to make this a future update

Repost:

Answer Re: Automatically open next message

This option is not available in Outlook for Mac, unfortunately.

Best available workaround is to read your email in the reading pane -- when you delete a message, the active message switches to the next one in line...

In general, Outlook for Windows users are going to find that the Mac version is "missing" features. In Entourage (the prior email/info client for Mac), many WinOutlook features were handled by scripts. However, Outlook 2011 appears to have broken a lot of the Entourage scripts. So until the script-writing experts catch up, or Microsoft issues updates, we will have to live without some convenience features.

Thanks for the update.

Reaction score
Late to the party, but this could help some others...

I'm a new Mac user and recently installed Outlook for Mac 2011. I was trying to get Outlook to access the next new message when I delete the one I'm reading as I have had setup on all my previous PCs. I haven't found an answer on the net yet, but I just so happened to find a resolution myself. So, here ya go...

In the message summary pane, change from "Newest on Top" to "Oldest on Top".

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.