Used Mac Pro or Current Macbook/iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook,Mini
Folks,
Grateful for any advice for Mac purchase

Have been offered a 2008 Mac Pro dual 2.8GHz(8 core) + 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD + 320 GB for USD1600 with the option to get the ACD for another USD260

My needs are simple:
1) Always wanted to own a Pro - longevity of the machine as well as the design
2) Internet, MS Office, Watching Video, ITunes - simple apps which will not tax the Pro at all-I know the Pro is overkill :D

My debate is this:
For the same amt or slightly more I could get a current model iMac, Macbook Pro with similar performance(have used the Everymac Comparator).

My question is which is a better option:

a) used Mac Pro
or
b) Current Mac

Apologies if this is another one of those 'which one is better....' thread but I have searched various forums but I kinda got mixed messages so I though I give it another try by posting my own

Thanks for reading & yr views

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is a non-technical answer, more an emotional response if you like.

"You've always wanted to own a Pro". Well here's your chance. Go for it. It's clearly what your heart wants.

Incidentally, should you eventually decide on an iMac, beware, there is a new version imminent.

So my advice, go with your heart. More erudite replies will come from those with much more tech savvy than I have.

Ian

Reaction score
If you buy a Pro you'll also need a monitor, which is unlikely to be as good as that in the iMac.

As you presumably don't need portability then the Macbook doesn't make sense as you're paying for what you don't need with a smaller screen.

I'd say go for the iMac. You've always wanted a Pro - why? Get yourself a new iMac and you'll forget all about ever wanting a Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook,Mini
Folks
Thank you for the suggestions/views. Decision time now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.