Macbook Pro (A1151) Upgrades/Repairs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP A1151
Macbook Pro 17" Broken Screen and Airport

My (oooooolllllddddd) MBP has been acting up recently.

Some basics. It's a 17" A1151, 2gb ram, 2.16GHz Core Duo.

It all started during the summer when i was adding bootcamp to install windows 7. I needed it for Auto CAD for college. Before partitioning the HDD I had to reinstall Leopard, the computer decided that it didn't have a hard drive. Booting from a backup didn't work.

This was the first repair. I replaced the hard drive with a larger 300 GB one.

More recently the front bezel has come away from the screen at the bottom, near the hinge. This has the effect of unsnapping the back cover from the screen along the back edge of the laptop when the screen is closed. The internals of the screen are visible, the inverter and the Airport antennas. This has had the effect of tearing the antennas. This gives me atrocious wifi reception.

Even though the icon shows full reception pages will load continuously. The only solution is to restart Airport which solves the problem temporarily.

I know for a fact that a new laptop is needed, but I currently cannot afford this. The laptop is almost 5 years old. I think it's time it was retired. I just want to repair my laptop.

However I'm an engineering student and would really like to do some changes to my laptop.

I had the idea of putting the screen (whole lid assembly) from an A1212 model mac on to my mac. From ifixit.com I can see the fixings are in the same place. From the photos provided the only difference I can see is the Airport connectors. (3 for the A1212 compared to 2 for the A1151)

Considering that BOTH my screen and Airport are in need of repairs I would like to know if the Airport card can be swapped out for a A1212 model version? Screw positions are the same and the connectors on the card are the same.

If needs be could I just replace the left I/O board with a A1212 version? My headphone jack occasionally displays a red light and thinks that a headphone jack is constantly inserted.

TL; DR

Screen and Airport are broken on A1151 model MBP. Can they be replaced by a A1212 model screen and Airport if both replaced together?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP A1151
I've taken to carrying around an Airport Express and an ethernet cable in order to connect to the houses wifi network. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.