old imac will not switch on

Reaction score
hi. hope somebody can offer advice.
my ancient imac (1999 blueberry model) refuses to switch on.
When I press the 'on' button it lights up for a couple of seconds, sounds like it will startup, then switches off again.
I would like to erase personal info from the hard drive before I send it to the happy hunting grounds, but have no idea how to get at it.
Any advice/help appreciated - by the way, I'm just a simple user and not really very techie competent, but keen to know what I'm doing before approaching any repair shops
:Confused::Confused::Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Remove the hard drive from the machine, place it in a carrier or use an adapter, attach it to another machine and wipe it clean with Disk Utility.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for that chscag.:Cool: Somebody did tell me it would be doable.
I just found a site (faqintosh resources, have you heard of it?) that takes you step by step through replacing the harddrive.
So with your advice and his directions .......fingers crossed
Thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks for that chscag.:Cool: Somebody did tell me it would be doable.
I just found a site (faqintosh resources, have you heard of it?) that takes you step by step through replacing the harddrive.
So with your advice and his directions .......fingers crossed
Thanks again

There are tons of sites that have DIY's on how to take the older G3 iMacs apart. Be warned...these computers are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to take apart!;)...getting the hard drive out isn't too bad...but certainly MUCH more involved than it is in newer computers.

You could try this site as well for a DIY for removing the hard drive:

iFixit: The free repair manual

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
While you're in there check the motherboard battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While you're in there check the motherboard battery.

No need to check the motherboard battery:)...OP intends on getting rid of the computer (not sure if that means selling it or trashing it). Otherwise I would TOTALLY agree with checking & replacing the PRAM battery!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
well yep, I am thinking of trashing it and original idea was to remove hard drive and erase personal info.
however, I'm getting ambitious now after realising that I can maybe replace it if that is all that's needed.
trouble with helpful forums is they make you aware of possibilities!
thanks to everybody for help (probably still going to ditch it anyway)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well yep, I am thinking of trashing it and original idea was to remove hard drive and erase personal info.
however, I'm getting ambitious now after realising that I can maybe replace it if that is all that's needed.
trouble with helpful forums is they make you aware of possibilities!
thanks to everybody for help (probably still going to ditch it anyway)

Are you saying you think that the hard drive was/is the problem with this computer? If so...chances are you won't be able to access it to remove personal info. But you never know...after you put it into an external case...you may be able to access it.

If the hard drive isn't "bad"...you may be able to reformat it...reinstall the OS...and put it back into the iMac. If the hard drive is bad...a new replacement IDE hard drive will probably cost way more than the computer is worth. Even a used replacement HD will cost more than the computer is worth. But it all depends on how much you want to get this computer running again...and if it has any sentimental value.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
well, I'm assuming it's the hard drive - but only because a repair shop thought from my description that might be it. I tried resetting the pmu but that didn't make any difference.
Found a service manual that says sometimes the startup button doesn't make connection?. only a bit sentimental - but definitely not to the extent of spending loadsa cash

Reaction score
The reason I recommended you check the motherboard battery is sometimes those old imacs wouldn't boot if the battery was dead.
May not be the problem you're having but something to think about.
Also those old imacs were quite easy to take the HD's out of (easier than the newer ones) however like Nick says, finding an IDE drive for cheap wont be easy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I recommended you check the motherboard battery is sometimes those old imacs wouldn't boot if the battery was dead.

Great idea "cradom"...you're right:)...some Mac's won't boot or won't boot dependably with a dead PRAM battery. In this case I don't think that the iMac G3's fall into this category...the PowerPC computers from the mid-1990's were much more problematic with dead PRAM batteries.

To the OP...I never like to say anything is 100%;)...so it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure your G3 iMac's PRAM battery is dead or not...if it is...here's a good place to get a replacement...if you decide to do some troubleshooting:

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
It could also be a fried power supply that's causing the computer not to turn on. In which case it's probably not practical to get it repaired. :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.