Thoughts on adding a SSD to a MBP 13" i7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz/512mb.....MacBook Air 13" i5/4GB/128GB SSD
I THINK I've finally narrowed it down to a 13" i7 MBP. I was initially attracted to the 13" MBA because of the snappiness of it's SSD but would miss the upgradeability factor too much for the future. I'm sure I'll get the standard 500GB harddrive but would like to upgrade to a 256GB SSD aftermarket later this summer. Has anyone done this to one of the i7's yet and if so what are your thoughts?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I THINK I've finally narrowed it down to a 13" i7 MBP. I was initially attracted to the 13" MBA because of the snappiness of it's SSD but would miss the upgradeability factor too much for the future. I'm sure I'll get the standard 500GB harddrive but would like to upgrade to a 256GB SSD aftermarket later this summer. Has anyone done this to one of the i7's yet and if so what are your thoughts?

Haven't seen any posts on someone doing it with the new 13in MBP, but checkout
MacBook Pro 13" - iFixit

I expect they will have a teardown and upgrade with SSD posted shortly (if it isn't already there and I missed it).

Reaction score
I have the i5 13" MBP and installed a 64gb ssd in it. It is blazingly fast. my boot time is under 20 seconds and my iMac i3 which has a hard drive takes over a minute to boot. I would definitely recommend it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.