HD 5770 and a second card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I have a 1,1 mac pro, sporting 7 gigs of Ram and a GeForce 8800, I just purchased a HD 5770 from apple's website:

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - Apple Store (U.S.)

I read through all of the comments first to make sure it will work with my 1,1 Mac Pro, and am satisfied after reading through the comments that it will, so my question is this.

If I put the new card in the 16 lane Slot, can I put the old card in a slot at 8 lane and connect my small second monitor to that card? I game, and do everything graphics intensive on my main monitor, and my second one usually is displaying a web page for reference while playing games or studying, a spot for iTunes and my adium contact list, and essentially a space saver monitor, I do nothing graphics intensive in it, almost ever. Would that free up power in the new card for games?

Secondly, I run windows inside of parallells, I assume drivers wont be an issue there because Mac OS is supplying them to the virtual machine, but am I missing anything in regards to that?

Can I? Should I? Thoughts and opinions welcome!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll let one of our Mac Pro experts answer your questions regarding the graphics card and monitor.

Secondly, I run windows inside of parallells, I assume drivers wont be an issue there because Mac OS is supplying them to the virtual machine, but am I missing anything in regards to that?

That's an incorrect assumption. When you virtualize a Windows session, the drivers are supplied by the virtual software (Parallels) not the host OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
I'll let one of our Mac Pro experts answer your questions regarding the graphics card and monitor.

That's an incorrect assumption. When you virtualize a Windows session, the drivers are supplied by the virtual software (Parallels) not the host OS.

Interesting, thank you, I didn't know that.

And I know Harry, Both monitors are DVI.

Thanks for the info guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.