User login related to display issue on iMac?

Reaction score
Hello there,

I own an Intel iMac (8,1) running Mac OSX 10.5.8. A few days ago I noticed my display had started showing some very high luminance/washed out colors that made it impossible to work with. I tried to re-calibrate it, but the contrast is too high even if I adjust the respective slider to the minimum setting.

At first, I thought this to be a hardware issue, but here's the catch: whenever I log in to that same machine as a different user, display luminance goes back to normal and I can calibrate it perfectly.

I've already tried removing all my login items, resseting the PMU and using third-party calibration apps, but those did no good.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's occurring on only one account, that means something has changed in that account to cause it. Open System Preferences, go to Universal Access and make sure you have not accidentally turned on any of the display options; specifically "white on black". Check all the settings while you're there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, that was the problem! It wasn't the "white on black" though, the problem was in the additional contrast lever found in the Universal Access tab. Somehow, I must've accidentally altered the settings...

Gee, I would never think of that!

Thanks a lot pal,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad it's solved. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.