Is Google Chrome a good Browser for My MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Bok Pro Snow Leopard New to Mac and so far it is the best
Hi there,
Would like to know if I should keep google chrome or get the new browser made by mozilla???? I kinda like google chrome but I would like to use the best browser there is!!!

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Both have merits, but I prefer Chrome over all others, but some swear by Opera, and some even swear by Safari, which I personally hate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi there,
Would like to know if I should keep google chrome or get the new browser made by mozilla???? I kinda like google chrome but I would like to use the best browser there is!!!

thanks

There is no "best". I prefer Safari. Others like Chrome. Still others prefer Firefox or Opera. You'll have to decide for yourself what works best. I keep Firefox around for the extremely rare instance something doesn't want to work with Safari, though honestly I can't even remember the last time that happened.

OP
hotbum40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks to all of you!!! I have Safari google chrome and mozilla so I guess I don t need to keep all of them although I heard that for some update it is best to keep safari .... but i ll stick with GC... thanks a millions..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There is no "best".

I tend to agree with this - although I wish there were a clear cut "best". According to the performance results I've read - Chrome and Safari are the two fastest.

I primarily use Safari (just downloaded the new update about an hour ago) - and occasionally use Chrome. That paradigm may flip flop as Chrome continues to be developed. My preference is to use whatever performs the best - and for me that primarily means speed.

However, I do also have to use Firefox (the new beta) since it is the only stable browser that can be used with Zotero - although that is changing.

In short - you may find yourself using one browser for one set of activities - while using another for a distinctly different set.

You can read more about what people use here. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/206023-web-browser-do-you-use.html

Edit: This article released today seems to have results that are slightly different than what I recall reading back in January. Will have to explore further when I get some time. Hands_on_Chrome_10_pushes_the_browser_speed_barrier

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I kinda like google chrome but I would like to use the best browser there is!!!
Best is subjective. Some browsers perform better on certain tasks but even that changes on a daily basis given the speed with which some browsers release versions.

According to the performance results I've read - Chrome and Safari are the two fastest.
I assume you're talking about javascript performance here. That, like every other measure of performance, depends on the benchmark. Trying to pick the fastest is near impossible. ;)

OP
hotbum40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Hi there,

Chrome is going to be dropping support for the popular video codec H.264 to focus support on Google's own WebM format.

So it might be best not to get attached to Chrome.

Google to drop H.264 support for Chrome in favour of WebM (Wired UK)

Did you know that there are almost 200 different Web browsers available for the Macintosh! (Seriously!)
Macintosh Web Browsers

Other browsers that you might want to check out:

OmniWeb
OmniWeb 5 - Products - The Omni Group

Camino
Camino.

Opera
Opera web browser | Faster & safer | Download the latest Internet browser free

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're concerned about H.264 support, don't use Opera or Camino. Opera doesn't support it and I assume Camino won't either given that it uses Gecko from Mozilla (Mozilla doesn't support H.264). Safari is the only Mac browser to support H.264 so if that is a concern, you're choice should be simple ;).

OP
hotbum40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I guess I won't get rid of Safari LOLOLOLOL just need to get use to it I kinda like google chrome for the design but hey!!! thanks guys

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no reason that you can't use multiple browsers. I regularly switch between Chrome and Opera. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
There is no "best"...You'll have to decide for yourself what works best.
That's really the best advice when it comes to things like this because each browser has a few good and bad things about them so a person has to figure out on their own which one has more good than bad for them. It will be different for everyone.

There's no reason that you can't use multiple browsers.
I completely agree. I have 5 of the well known ones installed and jump back and forth depending on what I need to do. I do generally use one as my main browser but having the others installed when my main browser can't do what I ask is helpful.

I also just like testing browsers to see if there is a reason to switch. I've switched my main browser a few times when a new version comes out with either features or better performance I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 4,1; Snow Leopard
Safari has really fallen behind lately. I've always hated Firefox, and I was a die hard Chrome user up until a few weeks ago. Their last update screwed up YouTube video for me, to the point I couldn't stant to watch them. I switched to Opera and it's a completely superior browser to any other that I've used.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only issue with the multiple browser approach is tracking bookmarks. I've run into this issue but have resorted to opening up Chrome and bookmarking it there (using Chrome as a central bookmark manager if you will).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The only issue with the multiple browser approach is tracking bookmarks. I've run into this issue but have resorted to opening up Chrome and bookmarking it there (using Chrome as a central bookmark manager if you will).
I basically do the same thing. I have one browser as my main bookmarks manager and then export/import the bookmarks over to the other browsers. This is also why browsers that make it very fast and convenient to import bookmarks is a great feature.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I could use Xmarks but unfortunately, it doesn't support Opera which is my second main browser. I'm tempted to work something up myself...

OP
hotbum40
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and I also like the fact that you can import bookmark from other browser with Chrome... I believe Opera is an baby of Mozilla .... People seem to like that browser as well.... since it does not take much of space on my MAC (anyway I use it for personal use only..) I will have a look at that browser today thanks guys you are very helpful...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There will be H.264 plugins for Chrome on Mac, it just won't be included by default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.