Uploading photos to a web site - why won't OS X let me do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 4GB, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Snow Leopard
Have posted this on another area of this site but hope it is OK if I try here as well.:)

Just a month into my Mac experience and so far have managed to solve most issues in transferring from Windows PC.

However, I need some help please with this issue, not sure if this is the right area to post in but here goes.

I use a third party provider to produce 360 degree virtual tours for me - I take the images and stitch them together, then upload the images to their website.

For some reason, I cannot complete the uploads if I use the iMac - my old windows machine still does the job OK which suggests it is not a problem with the website itself but a problem with the iMac or at least with OS X.

I have tried it using both Safari and Google Chrome - no joy with either.

Have called Apple support - this was my first experience of them and I have to say that sadly they were totally clueless!

Anyone out there who can help me please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How do you upload them?

A java loader on the website? FTP? etc

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Have you tried FireFox?
Sounds to me like it is a WebBrowser issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The website has an 'Add Image' button that I click on and it gives me the option to browse for the correct file to upload from within my folder structure. I'm afraid I don't know if that means it is Java or FTP or anything else, that is beyond my technical know how.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion on Firefox - I've just downloaded it and given it a try but exactly the same problem has occurred again

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Sorry it didn't work.
I saw mrplow's post on FTP/JAVA. Perhaps that is problem, but not an area I have expertise in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I use Photobucket and after switching to a MAC I discovered I couldn't upload photo's the same way I did with a PC. I had to download a small app from Photobucket. Then when I want to send a photo to Photobucket I onen iPhoto select the photo select File then Export. Then the Photobucket logon screen appears. I enter my userid and pw and I can then save that photo.

Is this what you are trying to do?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I use Photobucket and after switching to a MAC I discovered I couldn't upload photo's the same way I did with a PC.

???
I use photobucket to host pics I post on these forums and never had trouble finding my files in Finder or in iPhoto. It's easy to browse through my files wherever they may be on my Mac.

Untitled.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. :Smirk:

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input so far but unfortunately I am still having the same problem with the website that I need to upload my images to - it works fine from a Windows PC running IE but not from my iMac running Safari, Google Chrome or Firefox.

Any other ideas out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Any objection to posting the website so I could try it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I concur. Please share this website with us so that we can better assist you. My first thought is that the site uses some kind of Flash based uploader, and perhaps you're missing the plugin? Though, it would likely alert you to that so.... I dunno.

Doug

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I can tell you right away that the virtual tours use Flash, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used some kind of Flash (or Java) based uploader as well. Could you post your website here, or is it something you need to log in to as well, or pay for ?

Doug

P.S. Contacting Apple is likely not the best route to take, since they have no control over what software your hosting company is using. I'd contact the people over at the hosting site, and ask if they have any alternative methods for uploading photos.

P.P.S. I usually don't make a fuss about Flash sites, but when they're poorly coded, I do. And that site has some shoddy Flash "coders". Those 360 tours kick the heck out of my system resources and get my fans revving like jet engines! As a "potential client", that would really put me off. Just saying..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you raised a ticket through the support link on the site?

Is your system fully up to date, the was a Java update recently.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mrplow, I can confirm that all my software is up to date and I have asked i-Spy360 for some help - unfortunately they are not Mac users!

Doug, by all means contact i-Spy360 with the feedback about Flash 360 tours - might be some consultancy work for you there!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am informed that they use Flex - could there be a problem between OS X and Adobe Flex that is stopping me being able to upload my photos to their website?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am informed that the platform used by i-spy360 is FLEX (Flash runtime) + PHP

Does that suggest any solutions to anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't happen to use FlashBlock or similar to allow/disallow flash on webpages do you?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I know of, how can I check if it is operating in the background somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.