Loaded question: low-end Mac...or high-end PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
So lemme explain. I recently joined the Mac Forums under the anticipation of getting a kick-**** tax refund and getting the Mac of my dreams. I was sooooo excited, and then last night the wind went out of my sails. You see, my tax guy got back with me and said that we evidently didn't dot some "i" or cross some "t". End result was my big chunky tax refund becoming a kinda limp and whimpy.

I swear thats never happened to me before. :p

Naturally this leaves me with a choice. I absoultely need to get my dying computer replaced, but with about a $1300 budget, I'm left with a choice; low-end iMac 21.5" i3 ($1309 from the Apple store, iWork installed, -w- AppleCare), or a somewhat beefy PC with the following hand-picked parts off NewEgg ($1279):

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V REV.W with ACK-I5361 120mm Long Life
XIGMATEK ACK-I5363 Intel Core i7 compatible Bracket Set
(2) HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
(2) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory
ASUS ENGTS450 DC OC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Obviously I can rebuild using the existing supplies from my dying PC...but which is better. I realized asking on a Mac forum is a bit like loading the deck, but I absolutely know I won't get a straight answer anywhere else. As I see it:

PC Pros: PC with above componets would likely be more powerful. Could last a bit longer. Good use of existing case. My PC friends won't disown me.

Mac Pros: Mac has a warranty. No need to build, and I've wanted a Mac for a bit. A little less powerful in comparison. Obviously less memory, but less likelihood of virus too.

Its a tough call given my budget. What would you do? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Depends what you're using it for. What OS do you prefer? How long do you expect your computer to last?

If you really want an iMac, you can always get a refurbished one from the online refurb store on apple.com for a bit cheaper.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've been building PC's for a long time and for a long time have used Windows and then gave it up to completely run Linux and then about 2 years ago I got the iPhone and wanted to play around with a Mac so got a Mac Mini and then eventually was hooked enough to sell the Mac Mini and switch over to a 27" i7 iMac..

Now the choice of going with a PC or Mac first and foremost depends on what you are going to be doing with it. If you are going to be doing major photo/graphics processing, music processing or other things, than a beefer i7 based computer is going to be better suited, but if you are going to do some serious web surfing, emailing and listening to music, then the i3 iMac is going to be a champ at it..

Now the other part of the equation is indeed if you'll be running Windows on your PC or something else. If Windows, then the Mac is going to be better protected from Virus and so on and is generally more reliable over longer periods of time.

Third, Mac's generally tend to hold their value fairly well, so if you did somehow come across a larger chunk of money and want to upgrade to a new Mac, your existing Mac would still sell for a decent price and defray the cost of the new Mac a bit..a PC will definitely do that and will lose a large portion of it's value on day one.

Now you can always run Windows on a Mac, so if you wanted to run games or something, thats also a possibility..

So bottom line, tell us a bit about your computing habits and with what I've said, perhaps you can make up your mind to go PC or Mac..

Regards

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
On a specs per $ basis I think you are always going to be able to beat Mac with a Windows machine. But specs are ultimately only one part of the equation.
My MBP is four years old and running strong. I am fighting upgrade lust, but if I am honest I have to admit that my machine is more than capable of meeting my current requirements and (but please don't tell my wife) will probably continue to do so for some years to come.
I have never been able to do this with a windows machine without continuous upgrades in soft and hardware.

My reccomendation would be to go with the most Mac you can afford (I guarantee it will smoke your current system) and then upgrade when/if you want to by trade up as has been suggested.

My opinion FWIW

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current system (quite literally) smokes now. No seriously, it produces a visable amount of smoke. I built it in 2002 and I'm frankly amazed it still runs. It coughs, squeaks, and coughs up blood, but continues somehow to run. AMD 2700+ with a full 1G of memory and 160GB of HDD. I promise anything will outperform it.

As for what I'd be using either for. Surfing, email, photoshop-type graphic design, (some) video editing, cataloging, and probably not a lot of gaming...thats what the Xbox360 is for. It did occur to me I could pay another $70 and upgrade the RAM on that 21.5" iMac to 8GB, and that'd give it some additional zip. But being an i3, I wonder how much zip?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current system (quite literally) smokes now. No seriously, it produces a visable amount of smoke. I built it in 2002 and I'm frankly amazed it still runs. It coughs, squeaks, and coughs up blood, but continues somehow to run. AMD 2700+ with a full 1G of memory and 160GB of HDD. I promise anything will outperform it.

As for what I'd be using either for. Surfing, email, photoshop-type graphic design, (some) video editing, cataloging, and probably not a lot of gaming...thats what the Xbox360 is for. It did occur to me I could pay another $70 and upgrade the RAM on that 21.5" iMac to 8GB, and that'd give it some additional zip. But being an i3, I wonder how much zip?

Your usage sounds a lot like mine. Other than the usual I run Aperture and Adobe PSE plus iMovie for photo and video processing/editting. My MBP has plenty of muscle for the job (I have 4GB RAM currently).

The Geekbench score for my system is ~2800. By comparison, the iMac you are looking at will run ~6000 on Geekbench (or more than twice as fast).

Reaction score
I have an iMac 27" with an i3, When it was run at 4 GB I could still handle surfing, email, final cut, adobe cs3 and illustrator really well.

I know you are looking at the 21", but it is the same processor, and I can assure you, that my processor can handle "some video editing" as well as the rest of the stuff that you listed.

Also, upgrading ram from a place like OWC was super easy in the mac, literally only have to take out 3 screws and pop it in. I paid 105 (if I remember correctly) to upgrade to 12 GB of ram, and now it runs those applications even better; especially final cut and illustrator.

To answer your original question with my personal opinion: Mac's are more than just specs; its about the whole package:

- Customer support
- warranty and applecare
- great design (one of the most important factors to me personally)
- seamless integration of other Mac products (iPhone, iPad, ATV, iPod, etc.),
- simplicity and effectiveness of the OS,
- PC's have been big and bulky (Tower, Monitor, and tons of wires).

In the end every person/situation is different, and you may decide you want different things than other people in your hardware and software, but this is just my opinion and some of the reasons I made the switch so I hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have an iMac 27" with an i3, When it was run at 4 GB I could still handle surfing, email, final cut, adobe cs3 and illustrator really well.

I know you are looking at the 21", but it is the same processor, and I can assure you, that my processor can handle "some video editing" as well as the rest of the stuff that you listed.

Also, upgrading ram from a place like OWC was super easy in the mac, literally only have to take out 3 screws and pop it in. I paid 105 (if I remember correctly) to upgrade to 12 GB of ram, and now it runs those applications even better; especially final cut and illustrator.

To answer your original question with my personal opinion: Mac's are more than just specs; its about the whole package:

- Customer support
- warranty and applecare
- great design (one of the most important factors to me personally)
- seamless integration of other Mac products (iPhone, iPad, ATV, iPod, etc.),
- simplicity and effectiveness of the OS,
- PC's have been big and bulky (Tower, Monitor, and tons of wires).

In the end every person/situation is different, and you may decide you want different things than other people in your hardware and software, but this is just my opinion and some of the reasons I made the switch so I hope it helps.

Plus - you'll very probably LOVE your mac. Will you love your PC as much?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
with that iMac, you are effectively getting a cinema display for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I would build. your PC doesnt have a warranty all together, but each part has its own warranty.
or better yet, build something on the lower end but on a great motherboard (amd3+ socket one or sandybridge) that way you can upgrade if you want. get 4gb of ram, and a basic graphics card, I suggest the amd 965.
grab a small SSD (next gens are coming out in april so prices will drop) for your OS.
instead of the XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V get the
Coolermaster Hyper212+ its only 29.99 I got it for my computer (using amd 3.4ghz quadcore and temps went from 60 at pretty much full load to never going above 42 on an hour long 100% load test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
That's a tough question. Lot of intelligent folks making a lot of good points! Something about building your own PC always just sounds more fun, but from the information you've provided the Mac (to me) seems to be the better option. The i3 will have more than enough processing power for your needs and you can always upgrade the RAM yourself. Your mac will easily last for several years and you can always build yourself a new PC on down the line just for funsies.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with that iMac, you are effectively getting a cinema display for free.

Another wrinkle. I have one of the absolute best Samsung 23" 1920x1080 flatpanel monitors available already. You can see my internal conflict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another wrinkle. I have one of the absolute best Samsung 23" 1920x1080 flatpanel monitors available already. You can see my internal conflict.

But then you would have dual displays and would be able to increase your productivity. ;D

Orrrr... you can sell the Samsung and help defray cost of your iMac.

Either way, you WIN!

Reaction score

...you could get the 27" with 2560 x 1440 :Smirk: haha

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would. Seriously I would...but thirteen hundred frogbacks simply won't cover it. :\

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Originally released late 2009
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB memory
Built-in iSight camera

$1,269.00
Save $430.00
25% off

Reaction score
I would. Seriously I would...but thirteen hundred frogbacks simply won't cover it. :\

I understand you may need a computer ASAP, but if there is any way you can manage, maybe consider waiting a little while and save up some frogbacks...by that time maybe the heavily rumoured iMac update will be out and you can get yourself a 27"...just a suggestion.

Reaction score

4GB memory
1TB hard drive
Built-in iSight camera

$1,269.00
Save $430.00
25% off

Or just get that...apple refurbs are awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

4GB memory
1TB hard drive
Built-in iSight camera

$1,269.00
Save $430.00
25% off

Great advice! :D

If you really want an iMac, you can always get a refurbished one from the online refurb store on apple.com for a bit cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
THIS MERITS A NEW POST!!
ok, doing a comparison of your build...
First of all, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CLEAN OUT YOUR COMPUTER!!! smoke coming out of computer means you stashed "something" O:) there and forgot about it, or your computer looks like this.
0. the PC you built would utterly destroy the imac (not to rub anything in, but just let me explain). the machine you "built" is really not fair to compare to the imac simply because its very very overkill for what you are suggesting you use it for; minor photoshopping, video editing, basic general use.

1. 16gb of ram is not needed, at all. 4gb is good enough for general use and most gaming use.
2. do you honestly need 2tb? You say that you've been using a 160gb hard drive so far, so I dont think your suddenly going to be needing 12 times the space you have right now. Buy a single 1tb right now, and if you want more, you can buy it.
3. the heatsink isnt really necessary. stock heatsinks do suck though, but general use isnt going to be running it very hot.
4. intel. eh.. Go with AMD, they are better, much better at budget builds. the kind of quality intel delivers is pretty pointless for the prices.

Heres a build I did for you.
1. AMD 965 3.4ghz quad core plenty of speed for ya.

2. GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 Great board, one I bought, has a port for every day of the week.

3. 4GB

4. Hard drive 1TB WD has been more reliable in my experience.

5. disc drive (x24 dvd/cd burner)

6. 5670

7.Power supply unit its modular so wire management will be easier.

8. CASE hm, this ones a toughie, depends really on what you want in terms of looks/front ports.
case 1 has 1 ieee1394(firewire) port, 2 usb and 2 sound (mic/headphones)
Search for a ATX mid tower case, and then specify from there.
9. Windows 7 system builder home premium 64bit

optional stuff right here
10. CPU heatsink its a 120mm fan heatsink, but if you feel the stock heatsink is too loud, grab this baby. silent, and very good. +30 to price
11. SSD 64GB its sata 3, which means its very fast. install windows 7 and a few other programs onto it and they will fly.+135 to price
12. 23inch monitor+189 to price

TOTAL COST!!
EXPENSIVE BUILD (with all optional goodies)
978 (without shipping or tax)

NOT EXPENSIVE BUILD (none of the goodies)
668 (without shipping or tax)

SPECS for the build
3.4ghz quad core
4GB of ram
pretty sweet motherboard
1TB hard drive
x24 dvd drive
5670 graphics card 512mb of ddr5 ram

optional stuff to add to specs if you decide to buy any of them.
23in monitor 1920x1080 /w speakers and 2ms refresh rate (very fast) 16.7m colors
64gb SSD at s3 speeds.
big heatsink thats good.

if I missed anything tell me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.