Connected to wireless, internet stops working-MBP

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro (bought late 2009), and am having a problem staying connected to the internet.

I'll be connected to my personal wireless network, and everything will be running smoothly. Signal strength is high, everything is loading at a decent speed. Out of nowhere, I will randomly be unable to do anything that required an internet connection, so in a split second it goes from loading a page quickly, to being totally unable to load anything (it will say "loading" with nothing happening for however long I will let it), just like I wasn't even connected to a network at all.

It stays like this until I manually turn Airport off, then switch it back on and let it re-connect to my network. After I do this, everything is back to normal.

This has been going on for awhile, but it's really starting to annoy me when I've spent 40 minutes downloading something, then the connection will just stall out, and Ill have to restart it, killing the download.

Any thoughts? TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You could try restarting your router, as you have not posted it I can't really help further router-wise.

You could also try renewing your DHCP lease, to do this got to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP > Renew DHCP Lease.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is your ISP AT&T by any chance?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll give your suggestions a try.

And, no, I don't have ATT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
Why do you ask if is AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I had the same problem with my iMac when I was using a Belkin N+ router. Nothing I did would keep it online. When I switched to the Apple Airport Extreme router, I have never again had a problem with the internet dropping out like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Also if the channel selection is on auto try manual selection and I use iStumbler to let me
know how much traffic and noise are on each channel select the best one from the stats
keeping in mind 1,6 and 11 don't overlap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Why do you ask if is AT&T?

Because the 2Wire modem/routers are known to be mostly non-compatible with mac wireless devices during continuous use, as well as one of the few that don't have a working firewall protocol to allow a connection with Macs. AT&T happens to be one of the largest users of 2Wire modems. Even I have problems with it, but I don't use wifi at home.

Reaction score
I seem to have the somewhat same problem. It all started when a new DSL router was installed. Air port keeps dropping the signal. After about 6hrs in total talking to the DSL support & Mac support it was finally figured out so I could get back on line. But now it has dropped the signal twice since yesterday. To get it back I have to go into the Cashes folder & delete everything in it & restart. Then it works.
To back up a little when I couldn't get on line with the new router my wife could. She has the same MacBook but mine is 3 yrs newer. I could take mine to another wireless net work like the library & it would work but not at my house.......Any thoughts on this as to why it's happening.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
I was having the same problem with AT&T, and still do once in a while.
After 2 attempts talking to a couple of AT&T idiots, I finally was transferred to a 2Wire tech who also stated that 2Wire modems do not always get along with Mac's.
However lately things seem to have improved somewhat as I have been able to stay
connected most of the time.

charlesj off the coast of Maine, this is why I asked in your post if you were using AT&T.

Russ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.