iOS 4.3 - Issues with Home Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
While home sharing works, it doesn't seem like a finished product to me. Since the appletv 2 is built on iOS, I don't understand why home sharing on the iPad does not work the EXACT same way as it does on the apple tv 2. These are the problems I have with home sharing on the iPad for video:

1) My shows should be displayed in order, which they are not. What I see is a random jumble of different shows, different seasons of the same show are not even placed together consistantly.

2) Once I select a season of a show, the episodes are not in order.

3) I can't see which episodes are watched or unwatched, nor can I resume an episode that I started on my computer (or start an episode on my iPad and finish it on my computer).

4) The streaming seems slow for HD content and stops every now and again to buffer.

The appletv 2 has none of these issues. Being as they run the same OS, I can only conclude that apple has a lot more work to do with home sharing on the iPad and iPhone, or they are deliberately hamstringing home sharing because now that they are releasing an HDMI adapter, a well implemented home sharing system would eat into the sales of the appletv 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPad 3G, Imac, MacBook, MacBook Pro 15" and 2nd gen Apple TV
I have seen no benefits with the IOS 4.3 upgrade!
A lot of hype and no beef.
Probably only issued to support the new IPAD2.

Regards
IPAD 3G 64GB owner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I have seen no benefits with the IOS 4.3 upgrade!
A lot of hype and no beef.
Probably only issued to support the new IPAD2.

Regards
IPAD 3G 64GB owner.

You must not use AirPlay or Safari...

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Is anyone else having the same problems with Home Sharing or is it just me?

Reaction score
iOS 4.3 Issues with Home Sharing

I have also seen an issue with TV seasons loading the shows in random (alphabetical instead of by episode?) order.
Additionally, when my movie library loads as I scroll through my movie list the same titles appear for the movies down the list as the one's that are already displayed - I have to open a movie and close it to get the list to appear properly - this happens on every page as I scroll (I have over 300 movies in my library)

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After playing around with home sharing some more I have discovered that music over home sharing works flawlessly. It's just video that has issues. I hope apple fixes see issues soon.

Reaction score
home sharing doesn't work with HD(720p) with ipad iphone

Hi, Yes I have the same problem, everything is working fine on my apple TV(2nd) and with the home sharing with no HD content, but with HD(720p) content the ipad is buffering freezing ....well is impossibile to watch anything...I'm very disappointed....also the home sharing for the video is a mess....
Did you find any solution in this? I tried to check on the apple support forum but I didn't find anything..... :(
Alaso on the iphone (3GS or 4) exist the same problem, I tried with mine and my wife's one......no luck....
I know that's not a big deal but sometimes when you are on the bed without the televion and you want to watch something on your ipad if it's in HD you can't! it's not good advertising for apple!
:(

While home sharing works, it doesn't seem like a finished product to me. Since the appletv 2 is built on iOS, I don't understand why home sharing on the iPad does not work the EXACT same way as it does on the apple tv 2. These are the problems I have with home sharing on the iPad for video:

1) My shows should be displayed in order, which they are not. What I see is a random jumble of different shows, different seasons of the same show are not even placed together consistantly.

2) Once I select a season of a show, the episodes are not in order.

3) I can't see which episodes are watched or unwatched, nor can I resume an episode that I started on my computer (or start an episode on my iPad and finish it on my computer).

4) The streaming seems slow for HD content and stops every now and again to buffer.

The appletv 2 has none of these issues. Being as they run the same OS, I can only conclude that apple has a lot more work to do with home sharing on the iPad and iPhone, or they are deliberately hamstringing home sharing because now that they are releasing an HDMI adapter, a well implemented home sharing system would eat into the sales of the appletv 2.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm upset that this issue has still not been resolved. I was sure that it would be fixed with iOS 5, but the issue persists. The fact that the AppleTV can pull this off flawlessly only makes it that much worse. Either Apple REALLY doesn't care about this feature, or they want it to be broken so that you need to purchase an AppleTV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.