NTFS Program for MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Hi guys I'm a recent switcher (6days to be exact!)

My problem is since i switched from windows my external HDD is formatted to NTSF format. I can read the files but i can't edit or erase them. The system preference says it's "read only".

Any programs (free if it's possible) you recommend that's easy to use?

I downloaded NTFS-3G 2010.10.2 from the Apple Site (and yes it's free) but there's also MACfuse and other programs out there.

Any recommendations guys?

Thanks!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NTFS-3G is the plugin MacFUSE uses to enable R/W support. It works, but it can be flaky. If you need full R/W support, the best option IMO is Paragon's NTFS for Mac. 10.6 also has hidden R/W support built into it, but you must enable it - and it's pretty much untested as well (which is a big deal with a filesystem driver as it could lead to data loss).

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@cwa107 - thanks for the quick reply. I heard of paragon NTSF but is there any other options? Not feeling buying it online. Was hoping for freeware instead.

btw, my OS is 10.6. need something compatible for it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
@cwa107 - thanks for the quick reply. I heard of paragon NTSF but is there any other options? Not feeling buying it online. Was hoping for freeware instead.

btw, my OS is 10.6. need something compatible for it.

It's $20. If it's important and you want the best solution, then it's worth buying.

I've already mentioned and linked to the other two (free) options - both of which are sub-optimal. It's up to you whether you are willing to take the risk of using them.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ thanks i'll keep that in mind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Another vote for Paragon. For the money is great value and clearly the most robust solution. For me not losing data is worth the $20 but horses for courses I guess.

Another free solution: NTFS Mounter

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have never had an issue with data loss or corruption using the free NTFS Mounter, however, some other people have reported problems. NTFS 3G in all its iterations is buggy. That leaves the best all around solution: Paragon NTFS. Spend the $19.95, it's well worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.