Attn: Motorola / Google VP of Marketing

Reaction score
Let me help you out. Based on my recent visit to Best Buy, let me help you sell more Xooms:

- DO NOT display your fancy new tablet computer at the end of an aisle near the laptops where it appears to be an afterthought

- DO NOT display your Xoom on a rickety stand where the potential customer has to fumble around with the wires in the back.

- DO NOT set your Xoom settings to go to sleep mode so fast. Walking up to a dark screen isn't enticing.

- DO NOT require a Best Buy employee to enter his password before I can play with this $800 tablet. Slows things down, and I wandered over to the Samsung Galaxy display until I could find a Best Buy Guy.

- DO preload your tablet with some contacts, emails, and pictures. That shiny old iPad 1 on the next aisle had some really nice pictures pre loaded and let me see how the slide show worked. All the pictures were bright and crisp with happy people. The emails also let me see how crisp and simple the Mail program works.

- DO NOT put a Xoom on display that's got something wrong with it. At least I THINK something was wrong with it. Every time I swiped the screen or tapped something, it hesitated before it did anything.

- DO preload some sort of screensaver on your Xoom, so when I walk by, it makes me WANT to play with it.

- DO locate your Xoom where I'd expect tablets to be. The Galaxy was near the cell phones. The iPad 1 was near the Apple stuff. The Xoom was near the laptops. Maybe that's a Best Buy issue. Then again, a good Motorola sales rep would ensure it was on an end cap display. Like the iPad.

I do NOT have an MBA in marketing. I do NOT have extensive retail experience. I DO have $800 in my pocket, though, and I WILL buy a tablet. Unless my next attempt at a Xoom tablet goes any different, I WILL have an iPad 2. Or iPad 1. The iPad 1 was much quicker than the Xoom that I demoed. :Confused:

Just trying to help. I was also trying my best to like the non-Apple version of a tablet. Not there yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why post this here? Somehow I doubt Motorola execs are frequent visitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I agree, this post will not be seen by anyone that counts but I have to agree with his post. The time I went to Best Buy that darn thing didn't even work. I stood there for a couple of minutes trying to get it to go to no avail. I wasn't going to buy one anyway, but I did want to see Android 3.0.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There's a Google building next to my hotel (I discovered today) - I passed your message on to them. I'll let you know what they say. You're welcome. ;D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
While I agree this post probably won't get Motorola's attention, I will admit I enjoyed reading it.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just felt the need to share how lame the whole experience was. Its a great example of why Apple dominates product launches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.