External DVD-Drive to load OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, you can try using xpostfacto.

Reaction score
Can't you just get the cd verion of tiger and load it into the iBook as long as the iBook has a firewire port RIGHT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, but he'd still have to pay the $130 for the tiger dvd, then ship it back to apple plus another 10 for the cost of the discs and a little more for s&h.

Reaction score
Macman said:
yes, but he'd still have to pay the $130 for the tiger dvd, then ship it back to apple plus another 10 for the cost of the discs and a little more for s&h.

Macman,
Welcome back haven't seen you in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm around, theres a thread, I was offline totally for a week like a week ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
rgivans said:
Can I use an external DVD drive to load OS X on my iBook?

If there's another Mac around, you can put the other machine in Target Mode, connect the two machines via Firewire, and load from there.

I loaded Tiger on my CD-only G3 iBook by putting my OSX DVD in my G4 iBook and booting it into Target Mode. The DVD appeared on the G3's screen, so it was "click" and we were off to the races. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Really? That worked?
Shouldn't a firewire dvd drive work as well then?

I know a usb dvd drive won't, but if target disk mode worked...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Really? That worked?
Shouldn't a firewire dvd drive work as well then?

I know a usb dvd drive won't, but if target disk mode worked...

Well, it certainly seemed to work; I am typing this on a G3 iBook running Tiger right now. :)

Yes, using Target Disk Mode in this way works.

I have no idea if a Firewire DVD drive would work, since I don't own one.

OP
R

rgivans

caribiner23 said:
Well, it certainly seemed to work; I am typing this on a G3 iBook running Tiger right now. :)

Yes, using Target Disk Mode in this way works.

I have no idea if a Firewire DVD drive would work, since I don't own one.

Dude thats awesome news.
So I should be bale to hook up a External DVD Drive with a firewire and hold T at the start up. I dont have money for a new drive and someone I know has an external DVD drive they will let me use is why Im going this route. I opted for more RAM and decided to wait on the Combo Drive. Thanks for the help you guys. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we learn something new every day...

Let us know if that works for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(mods-- please delete-- sorry)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rgivans said:
Dude thats awesome news.
So I should be bale to hook up a External DVD Drive with a firewire and hold T at the start up. I dont have money for a new drive and someone I know has an external DVD drive they will let me use is why Im going this route. I opted for more RAM and decided to wait on the Combo Drive. Thanks for the help you guys. :headphone

That's not exactly what I said.

What I said was "if there's another Mac around, put it in target mode"-- in order to do what I did, you need two Macs and the second one needs to be in target mode. Read reply #7 above closely.

And as I told Aptmunich above, I don't know if an external firewire DVD drive would work since I never tried it.

OP
R

rgivans

caribiner23 said:
That's not exactly what I said.

What I said was "if there's another Mac around, put it in target mode"-- in order to do what I did, you need two Macs and the second one needs to be in target mode. Read reply #7 above closely.

And as I told Aptmunich above, I don't know if an external firewire DVD drive would work since I never tried it.

I read your first post correctly. I dont have another mac that has a DVD Rom. Plus if you can put it in target mode as long as there is a firewire cable doing the transferring I dont see why it wouldnt work. I should be attempting this within the next few days and I will post my out come when I do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a DVD ROM drive connected to an iBook that's in Target Mode, you'll effectively have two disks connected to each other with no operating system between them. This will not allow you to load an OS.

All Target Mode does is make the media on a Mac available via Firewire to another box.

Since perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough, let me try one more time. In this scenario, your iBook is iBook "A":

- You have an iBook (iBook "A") with a CD-ROM drive and you want to load Tiger on it. I assume it is shut off.

- Your Tiger media is on DVD.

- You get ahold of another iBook (iBook "B") that has a DVD ROM drive.

- Put the Tiger DVD into iBook "B" and shut it down.

- Plug a Firewire cable between iBooks "A" and "B."

- Boot iBook "B" into Target Mode (hold down the "T" key).

- Start up iBook "A" and hold the "Option" key down after the startup sound. You will see icons for the devices you can boot from. Click the icon for the Tiger Media, which is now mounted from iBook "B" and click the arrow.

- The installation process will begin.

This is the procedure I followed when I loaded Tiger onto my G3 iBook that does not have a DVD drive.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I was assuming that since target mode lets you access a remotely connected optical drive, the same would be true for a standalone firewire drive.

This might not be the case though, but give it a shot!

OP
R

rgivans

caribiner23 said:
If you have a DVD ROM drive connected to an iBook that's in Target Mode, you'll effectively have two disks connected to each other with no operating system between them. This will not allow you to load an OS.

All Target Mode does is make the media on a Mac available via Firewire to another box.

Since perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough, let me try one more time. In this scenario, your iBook is iBook "A":

- You have an iBook (iBook "A") with a CD-ROM drive and you want to load Tiger on it. I assume it is shut off.

- Start up iBook "A" and hold the "Option" key down after the startup sound. You will see icons for the devices you can boot from. Click the icon for the Tiger Media, which is now mounted from iBook "B" and click the arrow.

This is the procedure I followed when I loaded Tiger onto my G3 iBook that does not have a DVD drive.

Hope this helps.

Ok yeah that makes perfect sense. I dont mean to be a n00b with this stuff. The other iBook G3 I have doesnt have a DVD drive. I only have a PC with a DVD drive but the PC doesnt even have a firewire port (not saying that would work anyways). I still havent had time to even goto my friends house who owns the external DVD Drive to even try that. But from the sounds of everyone on the forum I doubt that will work either. Looks like I might have to give up and buy a Combo Drive.

Thanks for the help on this man.

OP
R

rgivans

Well just so everyone knows. Loading OS X through an external DVD Drive, works perfectly. It installed perfectly on my roommates iBook (not mine, i think my HD is shot.)

But here are some pics to prove it is an option for people who dont have another Mac to use Target Mode with.

Also I held down Option at start up to successfully do this.

osx.jpg

ibook.jpg

dvd-r.jpg

Reaction score
caribiner23 said:

Hope this helps.

Caribiner23,

I just did what you said and it worked Great.

Thanks for your help on this. My iBook is now running tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.