• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Strange Injury

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I was taking a bath this weekend, reached down to pick up a bar of soap and felt a sharp pain in my finger.
Somehow, I managed to break, jam or dislocate the first joint, index finger of my right hand. It doesn't really hurt unless I use it, but how do you not use your index finger on your dominant hand. Have resorted to splinting it which seems to help. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Why don't you go to the doctors? lol ;)

- Simon

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why don't you go to the doctors? lol ;)

- Simon

1) I have broken enough bones in sports (handball, martial arts, gymnastics etc) that I am pretty certain of the injury
2) With injuries like this the treatment is generally
a) limit use
b) if neccessary immobilize by taping to another finger or splinting
3) If it doesn't seem to get better I will go to a doctor

My main concern/interest is the odd way this happened

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Bizarre way to injure a finger! Splinting is the only way, as you know, but what a hindrance, and stop pointing, it's rude :p

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bizarre way to injure a finger! Splinting is the only way, as you know, but what a hindrance, and stop pointing, it's rude :p

For sure! :)

I tried to go splintless the first day back at work, then forgot and grabbed my coffee mug as usual and almost went through the ceiling when the handle weight ended up resting right on the joint.
I managed not to spill any, but left at lunch to get a splint.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was taking a bath this weekend, reached down to pick up a bar of soap and felt a sharp pain in my finger.
Somehow, I managed to break, jam or dislocate the first joint, index finger of my right hand. It doesn't really hurt unless I use it, but how do you not use your index finger on your dominant hand. Have resorted to splinting it which seems to help. :p

This sounds like a very similar injury to "jamming your finger"...like if you were catching a football, basketball, etc. I'm thinking you injured it pretty good by "jamming it"...I would think that breaking or fracturing it would be uncommon.

But...since it was this weekend...and now about 72hrs+ later it still hurts pretty good...maybe it's time for an x-ray.

In my experience with sports related injuries...usually the doctor just confirms what you already know. If you have a broken finger...all they're going to do is splint it...just like you did (not much else they can do with a broken finger). Unless there is some sort of alignment issue.

But again...a broken finger is the worst case scenario...and more than likely you just jammed it or bruised it real good.

About the only thing a doctor might do that's useful...is prescribe some pain medication...assuming the doctor wouldn't just recommend taking some over-the-counter meds.

Hopefully it will get better after a few more days. It's just 1 finger...that's why you have 10!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ouch. Be glad it wasn't your middle finger. You might get some dirty looks. Might even get into a few fights. ;)

Reaction score
Somehow, I managed to break, jam or dislocate the first joint, index finger of my right hand.

That reminds me of an old joke. (I hope that sharing it with you doesn't sound insensitive. I do commiserate about your injury.)

A gorgeous young redhead goes to the doctor's office and
says that her body hurts wherever she touches it.

'Impossible!' says the doctor. 'Show me.'

The redhead took her finger, pushed on her left shoulder and screamed, then she pushed her elbow and screamed even more. She pushed her knee and screamed; likewise she pushed her ankle and screamed. Everywhere she touched made her scream.

The doctor said, 'You're not really a redhead, are you?

'Well, no' she said, 'I'm actually a blonde.'

'I thought so,' the doctor said. 'Your finger is broken.'

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Ouch .... that is painful !
Experienced something similar after I caught a football in the wrong way.

Can you still do the 2 and 3 finger swipe ? :)

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That reminds me of an old joke. (I hope that sharing it with you doesn't sound insensitive. I do commiserate about your injury.)

A gorgeous young redhead goes to the doctor's office and
says that her body hurts wherever she touches it.

'Impossible!' says the doctor. 'Show me.'

The redhead took her finger, pushed on her left shoulder and screamed, then she pushed her elbow and screamed even more. She pushed her knee and screamed; likewise she pushed her ankle and screamed. Everywhere she touched made her scream.

The doctor said, 'You're not really a redhead, are you?

'Well, no' she said, 'I'm actually a blonde.'

'I thought so,' the doctor said. 'Your finger is broken.'

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

BaDum *Tish*

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for the replies . . . I did especially like the blonde joke. :)

It could be jammed, but I'm generally not one to leave an injury alone so I did as much manipulation (bending, pulling etc as I could to see) the pain appears to be centered in a small area just behind and above the first joint. Feels just like (actually) when I knocked a chip off my ring finger so that is why I lean more to the break. Regardless, it would take an x-ray to find out. So, as long as it doesn't get worse and begins to improve I will just let time take care of it.

Honestly, the middle finger would have been better. I would rather risk the fights for the added useability of my right hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.