• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP Viewer Window Lagging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
Hello everyone,
I'm running FCP 7.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.5.8, Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
I'm working with NTSC DV 720x480 footage and I'm having trouble with the viewer.
Whenever I play a clip in the viewer, it starts to lag. When I drag the clip into the timeline, it plays perfectly fine.

What is going on with the viewer?

Ellis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Do you have to render it in the Timeline? Sometimes clips need to be rendered in the Timeline for them to playback in real time. This happens with some DV footage. In the Viewer it lags, but after putting it into the Timeline and rendering it, it's fine. I think dv files are not the most compatible with FCP. If you could convert it to some other codec it may work better. Also, make sure your scratch disk is not targeted to your system drive.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
I don't have to render it in the timeline.
What codec would you suggest?
By system drive you mean the computer's built in hard drive? That is what I'm using. What would you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
what's the extension of the files themselves? Is it .mov or .dv?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.