DVD......No Way To Eject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I have a blank DVD in my disc player because I was going to record a movie I made. I can't get it ejected because it doesn't show up on the desk top. How can I get it out? I did look and couldn't find a way.
I was going top put the movie on DVD, but it says I can't because some of the audio files are on a dvd, but it can't access them because I put the blank in the drive to record it....arggggg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hit the eject key (⏏) on your keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Try running "drutil tray eject" in Terminal (Terminal can be found under Application/Utilities/Terminal.app. Let us know if that works!

Also:
If your computer has an eject button on the keyboard, restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, now I feel stupid. Looked all over my hard drive for the eject, didn't think about it being on the key board. Thanks again guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
While it's not nice to point and laugh, this did crack me up. Thanks for the laugh.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, I'll take my punishment when due.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If only all the answers were so easy. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
this is a valid question so dont feel bad. especially if you installed windows with no boot camp drivers. with no boot camp drivers in some cases the dvd drive key will not function and will not eject. you have to physically go in to my computer right click he cd rom and choose eject.

the eject is different then most computers so either way i think it was valid :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
My Mini has an 'eject' symbol in the top menu bar just to the left of the date, between the Airport and speaker symbols.

Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
my comment didnt come out the way i wanted it to. it makes it seem like he tried to install bootcamp when he didnt. i need to stay on topic better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Oh, I gave a force eject solution via terminal, as I believe you meant you had tried that keyboard eject button and it failed... :p Glad to hear a simple scan of your keyboard solved the problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4GHz iMac, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HD
None of the above has worked for me....

HELP!!! I've used the Terminal, the eject button, right-clicking on the dvd icon and choosing 'eject', the eject option from the DVD player app. Nothing is working.

This is my second drive and the computer's only 3 years old. The first one was replaced under Apple's warranty. Can't imagine what it'll cost me if I bring this to Apple. Ugh.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try checking screen for any messages that something may be using the disc. Happened to me once, the message was under something on desktop and I didn't see it until my frustration level had reached a point where I sounded like a Hysterical Donald Duck

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
HELP!!! I've used the Terminal, the eject button, right-clicking on the dvd icon and choosing 'eject', the eject option from the DVD player app. Nothing is working.

This is my second drive and the computer's only 3 years old. The first one was replaced under Apple's warranty. Can't imagine what it'll cost me if I bring this to Apple. Ugh.

boot the machine while holding down the mouse/trackpad button

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
Ok, here's a good 'won't eject the DVD" problem. Today I was watching a DVD and when it was over, no problem. I just hit the eject key and it came out. I put in another DVD movie and the thing started to read, then stopped, then started up again then stopped and on and on.. It just kept cycling. OK, I figured bad disc. So I hit the eject button. Nothing. I figured I'd open up Finder and click on the eject icon. Well, while in Finder, the CD drive didn't even show up. I had to manually hold the power switch to turn the computer off. Oh, this is an older (2008 or 09) Macbook 13". I turned the computer back on and it took a long time to finally boot, When I got to where I type in my password, the DVD drive started the cycling again. Spin up, spin down, spin up, spin down. Finally after riding the eject button like a cheap horse it finally ejected the DVD.
I believe another poster here has the same problem. OK, that said, I'm betting this DVD drive is failing. I'm going to try a cleaner disc and see what happens. I've had minimal luck with those things, though. Where can you get new drives for these Macbooks? Can I just use any external drive as opposed to replacing the internal or is there a particular one that is best for Mac's? I'm not as interested in burning discs as I am in playing CD's and DVD's and being able to load software. At this point, I am afraid to even put any discs in this drive. Oh, it did work with another DVD and with a music CD after this fiasco. The two discs I tried that did give me trouble have all played fine in my iMac 27 and two Marantz DVD players I have at home.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of a lens cleaning disk, try blowing some compressed air into the drive slot. Compressed air canisters are sold at most places that have computer accessories.

As for a replacement optical drive, try Other World Computing. They stock exact replacement drives and third party units.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Imac, 3.06 ghz processor, 1 TB HD, 256 meg ATI Graphics card
Instead of a lens cleaning disk, try blowing some compressed air into the drive slot. Compressed air canisters are sold at most places that have computer accessories.

As for a replacement optical drive, try Other World Computing. They stock exact replacement drives and third party units.

I'll give it a try. If all else fails, I guess I'll just have to replace the drive. I figure either it is dirty or the laser has become weak, a problem I have encountered in a lot of music CD players for home audio systems. I'm sure computer CD / DVD drives suffer from the same issues. Just wasn't sure if there may also be some software glitch. This machine is old enough that it was originally set up with Leopard. I upgraded it to Snow Leopard. But that was a couple months ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.