Urgent help for my Mac

Reaction score
I spilled some water (around 200ml) on top of my macbook pro this morning (laptop is closed and in hibernation mode). Immediately I wiped out the external water using bedsheath. Insanely, I tried to switch it on the computer but it didn't get started and later it I tried to charge it. It haven't started charging initially but within few minutes it started charging but still can't be switched on. I can see some green lights flashing on the side for a while and later those were also gone.

So I removed the bottom aluminium case, and wiped off the water with a tissue paper and from that trying to send some air into it using a blower or hair dryer.

I didnt dare to switch on again but can someone provide me some information to how to deal with this scenario. This is still under warranty and less than a year old.

Please guys....help me how to deal with this situation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
First you you should do is get the battery out of it, any residual water + electricity = dead laptop.
Next get it into a dry warm place, like an airing cupboard for at least 12 hours, although I would actually recommend longer if it isn't switching on.
After this time, take apart what you dare of the laptop to see if you can see any more water in there, if so back in the airing cupboard, if not then you can try it again.

P.S water damage from you knocking over your drink will not be covered by AppleCare

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions.

I started drying it off from yesterday (removed the back cover and allowed the fan to blow air into it) but I haven't removed the battery (since it says that warranty gets void if I remove the battery).

Do you think not removing battery is gonna make any significant difference in drying. The reason I haven't removed is, I spilled water on top of the aluminium cover and not on key board and someone mentioned that the spill detection receptors are gonna be under the keyboard. I was wondering if I can go to Apple store and claim that I wasn't able to power it on and still be covered under warranty. I might be greedy on this aspect but I am poor broke student :-(.

Also, as mentioned before when I spilled water onto my laptop, I tried to switch it on to check if its ok. Now I understood its a stupid thing to do but do you guys think that the damage might have already been done ?

thanks again for your valuable suggestions

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The amount of water that's gotten inside will decide how much damage is going to be caused..

Water and electronics just don't mix..even if none of the parts are shorted out, you still have to contend with corrosion and other things that will cause a gradual but progressive problem to your Mac..

Regards

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't have a MBP..so I don't know..I'd suggest reading the sticky I pointed to and following those instructions and other members with MBP's might suggest appropriate thing..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.