Dual 7200rpm drives in a Mini Server...Heat Issues?

Reaction score
I've got a Mini Server that I'm using as a HTPC right now, and I wouldn't mind upgrading the two 500GB drives to 750GB for the extra video storage capacity. If I do that, I think I may go with 7200rpm drives but am concerned that they'll produce too much heat.

Does anyone know if that's a legitimate concern? Will the Mini fan be able to dissipate any extra heat generated by the faster drive? WILL there be any extra heat generated by these drives?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Previous generation mini server I assume? The new mini server runs 7200RPM drives in a smaller chassis and doesn't have a heat problem that I am aware of. I would just make sure to have proper ventilation for the mini and you should be OK.

OP
I
Reaction score
Previous generation mini server I assume? The new mini server runs 7200RPM drives in a smaller chassis and doesn't have a heat problem that I am aware of. I would just make sure to have proper ventilation for the mini and you should be OK.

Yes, the previous generation. Late '09. I have a 2010 server model, too, but the older model is the one I want to replace the drives in. It's sitting in the open so ventilation shouldn't be a problem. Guess I'll give it a whirl and run a CPU monitor so I can track the temp.

Thanks, John!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Good luck with your upgrade. I am getting ready to add a 7200rpm to my mini as well.

On a side note, how is OS X Server? I wanted to get the mini server too but opted for the regular mini to save $$$ and now am wishing I would have gone the other route.

OP
I
Reaction score
Good luck with your upgrade. I am getting ready to add a 7200rpm to my mini as well.

On a side note, how is OS X Server? I wanted to get the mini server too but opted for the regular mini to save $$$ and now am wishing I would have gone the other route.

The machine's are GREAT. Love the extra hard drive. Apps and iTunes on one, Video on the other.

I don't really need the server software, though Snow Leopard server is an amazing piece of software. But I don't host websites, mail servers or client access, so it's way overkill for me. I actually blew out the server software and installed SL client on both of mine. They run beautifully.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.