problemswith final cut pro

Reaction score
I installed and older version of Final Cut Pro-Acadmic version 2004? on my Apple iMac G5/2.1 20-Inch Sight but when i try to open open final cut pro i get an error message thats says i need and AGP card ??!! Isnt that a PC card. My Mac G5 has built in memory of 128mb. What to do is their a way around this??!! :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What that message is referring to is the graphics card. The AGP bus provided wider bandwidth than what PCI could do at the time AGP was in use.

I just checked the specs on the iMac you have, and it uses PCI Express for the graphics card, which actually superceded AGP when introduced in 2004.

A little more checking into the system requirements for Final Cut Pro shows what the problem may be:

AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)
There's one of two things going on: the version of Final Cut Pro doesn't know how to recognize a PCI Express graphics card (due to it being older than the spec), or your existing card doesn't support Quartz Extreme.

What you need to do first is see if your card even supports Quartz Extreme. If it doesn't, then unfortunately you will not be able to use any version of Final Cut Pro. If it does support it, you should simply need a newer version. Go here for instructions on checking your card's capabilities:
Mac OS X: Requirements for Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics

OP
B
Reaction score
I am a littel bit confused. U say my IMAC uses PCI express for the graphics??!! but i tell u right in my question that my video memory is 128mb integrated. And if i am mistaken all Imacs have intergrated video. if u actually looked up my model this would have been disclosed, right???? Maybe i am wrong, i am a bit of a novice to computers. I dont think my card will supports Quartz Extreme ( whatever that is) because my Imac dosent have a PCI Video card. I ma still reasearching this issue but i am starting to believe that This version of Final cut pro wont work with intergrated video like u quoted from Final Cut Pro ??? ""AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card (Not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors"" but i really appriaciate all your all help. Is there anyone out there who might know this answers to my question, thanks !!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to MacTracker your machine has an ATI Radeon X600 XT graphics card and is listed as PCI Express. Unless you're mistaken about what model iMac you have? Follow the advice given you by member lifeisabeach. If you have a different model iMac than what you stated, post again.

OP
B
Reaction score
According to MacTracker your machine has an ATI Radeon X600 XT graphics card and is listed as PCI Express. Unless you're mistaken about what model iMac you have? Follow the advice given you by member lifeisabeach. If you have a different model iMac than what you stated, post again.

Here is more info on my Mac: it is a Power PC G5 with a 2.1 cpu, 1gb ram. isight camera. It is an all in model. everything appears to be built into/onto the motherboar just like a laptop. however i did check the system ofr memory and here are some of ht numbers i see:

ATi rv 380 (ox 1002)
128 mb ram
PCI bus

and yes it does mention a PCI-e slot ?!

but there is no PCI or AGP slot everything is onboard. !!?? dont know what to do next ??!! :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's correct. Your model has a built in graphics chipset (card) which according to the specifications is an ATI Radeon X600 XT PCI Express. The card or chipset can not be removed or changed.

Again, follow what advice you were already given by member lifeisabeach:

What you need to do first is see if your card even supports Quartz Extreme. If it doesn't, then unfortunately you will not be able to use any version of Final Cut Pro. If it does support it, you should simply need a newer version. Go here for instructions on checking your card's capabilities:
Mac OS X: Requirements for Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics

OP
B
Reaction score
That's correct. Your model has a built in graphics chipset (card) which according to the specifications is an ATI Radeon X600 XT PCI Express. The card or chipset can not be removed or changed.

Again, follow what advice you were already given by member lifeisabeach:

Ok..i checked my mac and it does support the Quartz Extreme, appears it is allready installed. But what do i do now? Do i downlaod a newer version of it ????!!!! Thanks again for all your help MAc guys !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read the article from the Apple knowledge base? If your machine already supports Quartz Extreme and Core Image graphics, there should be no need to update it. I don't think it can be updated anyway without updating the version of OS X that you have. And since you're limited to Leopard, what you need is already there.

I believe your problem is with the version of Final Cut Pro that you're using and not the hardware. Maybe someone else can give you better advice, but it looks like you may be faced with upgrading FCP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I believe your problem is with the version of Final Cut Pro that you're using and not the hardware. Maybe someone else can give you better advice, but it looks like you may be faced with upgrading FCP.

*nods head in agreement*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.