• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
After you've shared it(not exported) to iDVD you need to burn it to a dvd. The iDVD Help files will be useful for this.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
After you've shared it(not exported) to iDVD you need to burn it to a dvd. The iDVD Help files will be useful for this.

Thanks for that correction MightyGem. I was working from memory on a procedure that I don't do very often.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I'll do some reading. Those introductory files aren't much help though, I know all the stuff that's in those already as they don't get technical. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Many times the problem you're having is not technical, it's just that you missed a simple step. For instance, choosing Export from the Share menu instead of the YouTube or iDVD options will cause different things to happen. Exporting will let you save an .mov of the movie to any location you want. Choosing iDVD will send the project to your iWeb Movie Projects folder in your Movies folder.

I would watch those tutorials I linked to or read one of the manuals to make sure you're following the correct steps. I'd do this BEFORE starting any project.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I highly recommend this.

Amazon.com: iMovie '09 & iDVD: The Missing Manual (9780596801410): David Pogue, Aaron Miller: Books

iMovie works very well, but I have NEVER found it to be particularly intuitive (maybe my brain is wired differently than the programmers).

I have iMovie 11. I wonder how much has changed. I see on my iPad apps there is a new release (Feb 2011) called "Tutor For "iMovie 11" for $3.99 Not many reviews yet, but looks like 5 Star. Sorry bout the orientation. Ipad saved it that way
photopu.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.