Cannot complete downloads - very perplexing

Reaction score
My home network consists of:
- new iMac with 10.6.6
- old MBP with 10.6.3
- old PowerMac G5 PPC with 10.5.8
- HP Windows 7 Laptop from work
- Linksys WRT160n router

Everything was fine until I upgraded the G5 from 10.4.11 to Leopard. Since then, every computer on the network has trouble with downloads of all kinds. The basic problem is that downloads stall or time out in the middle. I first noticed it with Software Update on the G5, where it was trying to download various upgrades and kept timing out. Then I noticed the disease spreading to the other computers.

It happens with DMG files, with YouTube videos and many other kinds of downloads. But not all. Some applications update themselves fine.

It is not browser-specific. I have Safari, Firefox and Chrome on various machines and the behavior is roughly the same.

Mostly, the time-outs or stalls happen at the same place - if I cancel a download and try again, it will happen in the same spot (say, 42% downloaded). On the iMac, stopping and starting seems to help with some DMGs. On my MBP, once a download has stalled, there is no restarting it.

It is not my ISP. I spent hours on the phone with ATT and we ran diagnostics. The thing we saw after all of that was that my HP laptop behaved properly when we bypassed the router.

It is not (at least I believe) my router. I have both (1) bypassed the router and connect my DSL modem straight to machines and had the same behavior and (2) just to make sure, I put the newest firmware on the router and recreated my network.

I have reset permissions, reset PRAM, etc. I have not safe-booted, although perhaps I will try that next. I have deleted various plist files. I have looked for and not found any download plug-in's.

Could installing Leopard on one machine have somehow corrupted my network? I am puzzled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.