Glare v. Non-Glare Screen

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a new MBP and can't decide on a glare v. non-glare screen. I do digital photography and love the clarity of my iMAC (glare) but the light does cause reflections at times.

Are there any photographers who can advise on the best approach (Glare v. non-glare).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This one is completely personal preference.

OP
K
Reaction score
You are probably right

This one is completely personal preference.

Thanks...you are probably right. My concern is accuracy ( in terms of color, contrast, etc.). I want something that will look the same on screen as it will on paper ( or as close as possible)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMHO, you are far more likely to get better color on a regular screen rather than the anti-glare screen. The colors are more vivid and brighter and easier to correct and calibrate.

OP
K
Reaction score
is that a recommendation

IMHO, you are far more likely to get better color on a regular screen rather than the anti-glare screen. The colors are more vivid and brighter and easier to correct and calibrate.

Do you own a MAC (either Mac Pro, iMac or MacBook)? If so, which do you have in terns of the screeen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you own a MAC (either Mac Pro, iMac or MacBook)? If so, which do you have in terns of the screeen?

....do I own a Mac? :Confused:

<----------------------- Look

Did you even bother to read my last response? Not sure what your question has anything to do with what I answered.

BTW, it's Mac, not MAC and it's iMac, not iMAC, just a learning moment. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
....do I own a Mac? :Confused:

<----------------------- Look

Did you even bother to read my last response? Not sure what your question has anything to do with what I answered.

BTW, it's Mac, not MAC and it's iMac, not iMAC, just a learning moment. :)

Little known fact - Mr. Schweb, Admin and Moderator of Mac Forums, has over 10,000 contributions - all from his Windows 95 machine :p

Just in case it's not obvious - I'm kidding!! :D

OP
K
Reaction score
truthfully, I am new to all this and Moderator v. member escaped me.

I'm not sure on what point you are kidding but it was important for me to know you have experience with both monitor types (in a Mac world).

Thanks for the input

OP
K
Reaction score
An the relevance is that Apple monitors differ from other monitors so the question was relevant

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Easy there. It was meant as a light-hearted contribution - nothing more. I have the anti-glare screen and love it. You would do well to spend some time at the Apple Store or Best Buy and decide which you prefer. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to calibrate my screen using Spyder 3 or something similar for printing yet - and if I do - I'm not sure I'd do it on the laptop anyway - I'd probably use a dual external monitor setup - which is what I have on my windows machine down in the basement that no longer gets any use. When the iMac refresh gets here - that machine will be mothballed.

You can read to your hearts content about the screens here Glossy vs Anti-glare and here Returning anti-glare and I'm sure plenty of threads elsewhere. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
I wasn't excited

Easy there. It was meant as a light-hearted contribution - nothing more. I have the anti-glare screen and love it. You would do well to spend some time at the Apple Store or Best Buy and decide which you prefer. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to calibrate my screen using Spyder 3 or something similar for printing yet - and if I do - I'm not sure I'd do it on the laptop anyway - I'd probably use a dual external monitor setup - which is what I have on my windows machine down in the basement that no longer gets any use. When the iMac refresh gets here - that machine will be mothballed.

You can read to your hearts content about the screens here Glossy vs Anti-glare and here Returning anti-glare and I'm sure plenty of threads elsewhere. :)

I don't get excited...just tend to be a bit "factual" at times which can come across that way...sorry!

If you own an Anti-Glare and love it, why the previous comment about glossy screens?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you own an Anti-Glare and love it, why the previous comment about glossy screens?

I made no previous comment regarding glossy screens. If you take the time to read through the two threads I provided links for - you may find the information you're looking for.

OP
K
Reaction score
I made no previous comment regarding glossy screens. If you take the time to read through the two threads I provided links for - you may find the information you're looking for.

I am sorry I'm so confused (multitasking and shouldn't be). I check out the links you sent and there Seems to be a mix of opinions.

I appreciate your patience and understanding. I'm sorry for all the confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no way for anyone to tell you which to choose, that's the point that seems to be escaping you.

This is a choice based 100% on personal preference, neither is fundamentally better than the other, it just depends on which you prefer.

Go look at both and decide which you like better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz i7
I just got my 15"MBP and was facing the same question before
when I was in apple store i compared them side by side
I feel that the colour on the anti-glare screen is a bit dimmer than the normal one
(also I prefer black screen frame instead of silver)
could be my own opinion but i think your best bet is to go to an apple store and see which one you like

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.