imac with cinema display?

Reaction score
hello, I have a 24" imac and was planning on getting a 27" cinema display and was wondering if it would work with my computer? Also I was wondering if I can use the display as the main monitor and imac as the spare? :|

Thanks
-Matey

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Cinema display will work just fine with your iMac. However, if by spare you mean shutting down the iMac display, there's no way to completely turn it off. You can always turn down the brightness to its lowest level but in a darkened room it will still glow somewhat.

Why don't you just buy a 27" iMac as it uses the same display?

OP
thematey
Reaction score
The Cinema display will work just fine with your iMac. However, if by spare you mean shutting down the iMac display, there's no way to completely turn it off. You can always turn down the brightness to its lowest level but in a darkened room it will still glow somewhat.

Well my plan is to get a macbook pro and a 27 display but I am deciding what to get first I have enough for just one at the moment and I have to sell my imac to get the other. I don't need the macbook pro right away for a few more months so I could wait for the student discount what do you think?

Reaction score

THe iMac display can be turned off by control+alt+eject

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
THe iMac display can be turned off by control+alt+eject

If you shut the iMac display, that will also shut off the external display.

@thematey

If you can wait until student discounts are available, the 27" Cinema display will go real well with the MBP. And you can turn off the MBP display even when in mirror mode by using the clamshell option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.