iChat - cant send messages but can video chat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 gHz Dual Core
So I'm having an issue with iChat - I can video chat with anyone but for some reason I cannot send any messages - i can type in the box bit I hit send and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Try deleting your plist files that relate to iChat. This will make iChat start up as if it were running for the first time. You will be prompted for all of you screen name information again, but it should solve the problem. Or at least, I hope it does!

First off, quit iChat.

Go to User/Library/Preferences and find and delete (move to the trash) everything starting with com.apple.ichat

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

You might have different files in there than I have.

Once those files are in the trash, start up iChat. Like I said, you'll need to enter your information all over (as this essentially "restarts" iChat as if it were never opened before)

Let us know if this works!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did that about 3 times and still no go. And its not isolated to just AIM, I tried using a gmail account and still cant send any messages....very weird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Is this something that recently started happening, or has this been an issue from the get go? Have you been able to send text IMs in the past? Try looking at a topic that seems to have resolved itself over at the Apple Support Forums. Does anything there seem to help?

Go to iChat Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings (Deselect "Use this Account" in the Account info tab on the way)
Change the port to 443.

Deleting the com.apple.ichat.plist and the one I suggested will make the Start Up Screens reappear.

The Deletion of just the one .plist (AIM for AIM/Apple IDs and Jabber for the Jabber/GoogleTalk ones) will prevent the need for the Start Up Screens.

The user there that seems to be able to provide all the support mentions the same thing I have, but also a few other suggestions are mentioned.

Let us know if any of this information changes anything!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still a no go - sorta frustrating. Guess I have to use ADIUM to chat and iChat to video

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.