• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quicktime 7 Pro won't install because another Quicktime is there

Reaction score
I just paid $29.00 for Quicktime 7 Pro, which says it only works with Quicktime 7 free player. So I downloaded Quicktime 7 free player, but it refuses to install because a version of Quicktime player (10.0) is already on the machine. I can't find a way to uninstall it, and read elsewhere that I can't uninstall it because it's used by iTunes. What do I have to do to be able to use Quicktime 7 Pro? The Apple forums seem to be down, a message says "we'll return soon."
I want to use Quicktime 7 Pro because it says I can make an image from a single video frame. Is this old software? Should I look for something else? The price was right, and I don't seem to be able to do this using iMovie.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Try this,
Go to Mac HD/Library/Receipts and move all bundles with QuickTime in their name to the desktop and try again.

And are you absolutely sure that you have the correct QT version?
I assume you are on Snow Leopard, http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

OP
M
Reaction score
Complicated, but it got solved

Thanks, McYukon, for your response. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with Apple, went through 4 layers of reps to someone who finally explained how to have both versions of QT at the same time. I had to reinstall QT7 from my original disk, into the UTILITIES folder, then open it and put in my registration information which installed QT7 Pro into QT7. This leaves QT10 still operating within iTunes, residing in the Applications folder. This rep was amazing, did a remote view of my screen, walked me through it to make sure everything worked right, and THEN answered a couple of other unrelated questions and showed me some shortcuts along the way I didn't know about. I'd say I definitely got a good value from Apple today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Cool! Glad you got it fixed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.